Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Albuquerque RFI

Site Supporter
    If you are in Albuquerque for just one night, I would recommend La Salita or Los Cuates. Of the two, La Salita has the more cult following when I lived in Albuquerque and I remember it being better. If you want good food that isn’t “New Mexican” food, Frenchish and Standard Diner would be my go tos.

If you are eating New Mexican food, be prepared for two questions, Red or Green and Flat or Rolled. Traditionally, red chile is a simple roux thickened red chile sauce, think thicker, hotter, better enchilada sauce. Usually less complex flavoring, so that the nuance of the red chile shines through. Green chile can be chopped green chile or cooked into more of a sauce with onions and garlic, depends on the restaurant. If you aren’t sure which one you will like, ask for Christmas on the side, you’ll get red and green on the side. Enchiladas are a whole different animal in New Mexico. Most people are used to rolled, like a cannalloni or manicotti, and covered in sauce, either red or green chile, not enchilada sauce in most of NM. I grew up eating flat enchiladas and was stunned as kid by the rolled ones when I first encountered them. My dad always loves a flat blue corn enchilada with an egg over easy on it.

Some idiosynchrasies around New Mexican food, they have a tendency make Carnitas with beef and Barbacoa with pork. Not everywhere mind you, just enough places that you have to ask.

I second Blake’s for a breakfast burrito, easy to get in and out. If they are around Dos Hermanos is pretty good too. With breakfast burritos be prepared for plain or smothered and covered. Plain you can eat hand held, smother and covered is covered with red chile sauce or green chile with melted cheese on top.

If you happen to get something too spicy, take a pinch or two of salt and let it melt on your tongue, the salt breaks up the oleoresin and takes away the heat.
    Last edited by Archimagirus; 06-30-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    The state question: red or green? Correct answer is "yes".

Seriously, flat, christmas, with an egg.

Wecks is also becoming an ABQ institution.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I like burgers a lot. I eat local. I eat spicy. I eat ethnic. I do not drink beer.

ETA: I also have a spectacular sweet tooth.
    This place was pretty good:

5 Star Burgers
    5901 Wyoming Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109
    (505) 821-1909
    https://goo.gl/maps/S3YV8UH3Buj

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Word of advice. When a New Mexican tells you that the food is spicy, BELIEVE THEM.

I like my food spicy. Thai hot. I usually order medium in NM. I can always add heat if needed.
    I used to grow my habeneros. Thanksgiving isn't the same without my habenero cranberry relish. I go the Firey Food show every year. I have ghost pepper mustard, ghost pepper strawberry jam, and in my fridge right now I have habanero fudge sauce for pouring on ice cream. I like my food hot.

I was at the DPS Academy in Santa Fe a couple of years ago for a class and was warned about this little joint across the street that had hot chile. I walked in had the enchiladas, flat, green, with an egg. I did not know green chile was genetically capable of being that hot. I slogged through the meal, had a small amount of leftovers to take with me, and I got back to my class with almost 20 minutes to spare. Over the next 10 I broke out into a sweat, and my lunch was threatening to launch. I sat on the floor next to the commode, hoping not to puke, 'cause it hurt going down. I looked like a hung over college kid, breathing deeply, oversalavating, hoping. Afer about five minutes I was fine. Ate my leftovers for dinner without incident.

Didn't we have this story already in the hot sauce thread a couple of years ago?

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-30-2018 at 05:47 PM.

Albuquerque RFI

Not a local, just been through ABQ for work a few times.

The National Museum of Nuclear Science is pretty cool.

http://www.nuclearmuseum.org/

@Tom_Jones was nice enough to meet me for lunch at Oniells on Central, food was pretty good:

https://www.oniells.com/

Not sure if this is the best part of town but we enjoyed lunch here:

Church Street Cafe
    2111 Church St NW, Albuquerque, NM 87104
    (505) 247-8522
    https://goo.gl/maps/9no89Rfi9CA2
    Last edited by RJ; 06-30-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post

Didn't we have this story already in the hot sauce thread a couple of years ago?
    We did have this conversation already- in 2013! You, me, Mr Jenkins...

https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-7989.html

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-30-2018 at 06:18 PM.

I like this thread because Albuquerque has always been a get off the interstate, fuel up ready to repel boarders, and GTFO for me.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I like this thread because Albuquerque has always been a get off the interstate, fuel up ready to repel boarders, and GTFO for me.
    I feel the same way when I visit family in ABQ [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    We did have this conversation already- in 2013! You, me, Mr Jenkins...

https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-7989.html

pat
    Ah yes, I related the fork full of Wasabi story...I swear they looked like peas lol.

Nob Hill has some good food and is close to the base.

Nob Hill Bar and Grill has the Dirty Burger.... It is Dirty...

B2B is next door. They have burgers and beer, all local. Good stuff, good green chili burger.

For Non burger Yani's is decent greek, Street Food Asia is a good mix of asian that has never disappointed.

If you have to go for New Mexican Los Cuates is great, but if you can swing breakfast at Mary and Titos on 4th street you will not be sorry. They have the best chilies. It will look like it is closed, but its not. It is great.

User Tag List