Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Albuquerque RFI

Albuquerque RFI

If I'm in town for a night, and want to make sure I'm near good food, what part of town should I stay in? I will be working at KAFB and SNL, but nowhere seems super far (and there isn't much close by).

Then, where should I eat on a Monday night?

Site Supporter
    What kind of food do you like? Do you like microbrews? Do you mind driving across town?

El Pinto is iconic, but WAY across town. So is Sadies. My wife prefers Los Cuates to both of those, and it is in the southeast part of town, as is the Base. All three are New Mexican food. Last time I was at Sadies with Tom he was highly entertained by the confusion I caused the waiter while trying to order a sorta off menu award winning cheeseburger. There is a branch location of Sadie's off of Eubank. Hamburgers are huge, and there are many good and high end burger joints. The Owl is on Eubank near Sadies, and is kinda the standard bearer for a green chile cheeseburger, although I have not eaten there in years, preferring the oringinal about an hour and a quarter south of town. I actually think I prefer Sadie's burgers. A local alternative newspaper just ran a story highlighting some of the high end burgers across town. I can try to find it in the next little while if you are a burger fan. If you are a Breaking Bad fan, the Dog House west of downtown is famous for chili dogs and Frito Pie. Google NM Gastronome for a blog site of a guy who travels around reviewing restaurants around town. Pretty sure every place I mention here has at least one review there.

Albuquerque is home to world class breweries. Kelly's is one of several brew pubs not too far from the base. Fusion menu. The Nob Hill area and downtown have a variety of brewpubs, with pretty good grub.

Lottaburger is a local chain where you can get decent chile cheeseburgers, A number five breakfast burrito bacon and green is in my regular rotation. If you are a Breaking Bad fan the los pollos hermanos is a Twisters in the south valley. Twisters is a local chain with decent burritos, breakfast and otherwise. Hurricanes on Lomas has the Disaster Burrito, Twisters has a version of it, and it is similar to the Travis served at the K&I Diner. A single burrito will feed my family of five, and the Travis was featured on Man vs Food.

pat

Vending Machine Operator
    I've got some interesting memories of Albuquerque, from way back when I was just a little bitty boy living in a box underneath the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the street from Jerry's Bait Shop. You know the place.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Albuquerque RFI

I like burgers a lot. I eat local. I eat spicy. I eat ethnic. I do not drink beer.

ETA: I also have a spectacular sweet tooth.
    Last edited by JAD; 06-30-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Just re-read your question. The Wyndham on Carlisle will put you almost in the center of town, opening you up to most options for food and drink. Hotel Circle near Eubank has several motels, and is walking distance to Sadie's and the Owl Cafe, and is a straight shot down Eubank to the Eubank Gate at the Base. Several hotels off of Gibson, which is the north boundry for much of the Base.

We are in the throes of a huge property crime problem in the entire county here, and I honestly can't think any part of town that is better or worse, crime wise.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-30-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Site Supporter
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-30-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Forgot this one. The just opened an ABQ branch, and the lunch lines were out the door the first time I tried to go. Used to have to go to the Res west of town for one of these.

http://thelagunaburger.com

http://www.nmgastronome.com/?s=Lagun...er+albuquerque

pat

Site Supporter
    Word of advice. When a New Mexican tells you that the food is spicy, BELIEVE THEM.

I like my food spicy. Thai hot. I usually order medium in NM. I can always add heat if needed.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Word of advice. When a New Mexican tells you that the food is spicy, BELIEVE THEM.

I like my food spicy. Thai hot. I usually order medium in NM. I can always add heat if needed.
    As a fellow spicy food lover, I thank you for this travel tip. You may have saved me a bad day at some point in the future.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List