Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your best range practice tips?

Some very good tips in this so far.

I agree 100% with DanM shooting a standard cold drill in order to track "on demand" skill. I shoot "The Test" and Bill drill for those. I'll try the Defoor drill.

Along with Rich_Jenkins I plan and record various range plans(also in a Note folder), incorporating the skills I want to work. I try to shoot 100-150 a session. After I shoot a drill I write the drill title, gun/ammo and range on the target and photo it. Then I'll do taping.

Later, I'll log the session and the photos into Gunlog, an app I use. This is when I start planning my next session by looking at weaknesses. I always try to attack identified deficiencies.

I've been using B-8s and the P-F Targets , and I just bought 100 of LTT's targets.

If using the same target to shoot the same drill FS and SHO, I'll use different colored tape to patch. then a pic will readily show which is which.

I try to vary the distance frequently( say, shooting FS at 7 yds and 12 yds, and SHO at 5 and 10) I try to alternate FS and SHO on each drill. I like to incorporate a movement like sidestepping or a 180 turn, also.

I'll shoot steel if it's raining, or I'm pressed for time.

HTH.

I try to work on what’s important, what I suck at, and what’s fun in that order. I think hitting small shit quickly from the holster is important, particularly in combination with movement. I therefore work on the draw, trigger control, and sight alignment; I try to do this through micro-drills with high repetition so I can focus on getting better. I have tried to get away from running lots of ‘tests’ — FAST, DT, etc — and more tight drills.

That is, when I practice, which I’ve done exactly once in the last month. F certain aspects of ML.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I try to work on what’s important, what I suck at, and what’s fun in that order. I think hitting small shit quickly from the holster is important, particularly in combination with movement. I therefore work on the draw, trigger control, and sight alignment; I try to do this through micro-drills with high repetition so I can focus on getting better. I have tried to get away from running lots of ‘tests’ — FAST, DT, etc — and more tight drills.

That is, when I practice, which I’ve done exactly once in the last month. F certain aspects of ML.
    What are some of the micro-drills you practice?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What are some of the micro-drills you practice?
    Draw to singles and pairs, with and without movement, freestyle and SHO. Draw two, move to low cover, two. Two left barricade, two right. Bullseye 100s freestyle and strong hand. Other variations on the hits 2 second standards. All small targets — B8s center or 3x5, never anything as big as a lower A. Moderate distances, never closer than 5. 8” steel at 15 when I used to have that facility.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Any good tips for ranges where you can't draw, can't move, and can't "rapid fire"?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

What about targets? Types, Taping, spray glue, scoring?
    Forgot to add: I buy one large target per session, and mount it backwards. I then tape my paper 8 1/2 x 11 printed targets up using a roll of blue 1” painters tape I keep in my Range bag.

Can anyone recommend diagnostic drills for specific issues(trigger control, grip, seeing the sights) and the remedial drills for them?

Can anyone recommend diagnostic drills for specific issues(trigger control, grip, seeing the sights) and the remedial drills for them?
    https://www.amazon.com/Skills-Drills...40_&dpSrc=srch
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

What are your best range practice tips?

Here’s one for helping folks eliminate a pre-ignition push:

Chamber round.
    Remove mag.
    Fire one round at target.
    Pull trigger again without waiting, aiming at target (dryfire)
    Insert mag
    Repeat until mag is empty.

Do this freestyle, SHO, and especially WHO.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-04-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

One thing that helped me see the sights and reinforce what they were doing during Dry Practice, was wearing a pair of full lens +2.0 safety glasses and a Petzl AAA Headlight.

User Tag List