Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AFHF & RDS Transition

AFHF & RDS Transition

Due to steadily deteriorating vision, I'm moving to red dots on my carry iron. I've been dabbling with this for over a year, putting it off, but now I've got to get serious about it.

It would seem to me that the AFHF class synopsis is ideal for getting maximum immersion on the concept. I already tried it in a Givens class, was frustrated by the slow dot-acquisition times, and finished that class with normal irons. Since then, I have been working with the pistols and have learned how to pick up the dot quickly.

Most classes I am aware of include instructional periods on mindset, tactics, etc. Without trying to sound arrogant, I don't need any of that; already got it, thanks to an adult life of professional carry. What I'm looking for is a pressured environment to burn the changes needed in my technique (to accomodate the red dot) into my subconscious. I can't get that training on my own, even with a timer. A high round count, with almost all shooting devoted to technique as opposed to tactics/mindset, is what I'm after.

My question, to those of you who have taken the class AND have experience with red dots ON A CARRY PISTOL, is this... would this class be worth my time and resource expenditure? I guess what I'm really asking is, is the synopsis/instruction flexible enough to accomodate the subtle differences in RDS shooting vs irons shooting?

TIA for any insight...

I'm of no help with your RDS issue, but AFHF is on my short list of classes to attend if it can be arranged in LA again....

It helped me transition to an RDS equipped G19...

AFHF is a great class. A question is whether you want an instructor running a RDS, or at least very familiar with a RDS.

I agree that you don't want a class that is all about tactics, when what you really want to do is transition to a RDS. You just need to shoot it in as wide a range of circumstances as possible -- meaning your own practice, matches and classes. I am running a RDS thru RSS next month, and a Frank Garcia class next week.

While dry fire is no substitute for shooting, with an RDS, I find that dry firing is very important, as it is dot acquisition that is the hard part. I also found a laser to be helpful, because it allows you to press out in an efficient manner, and use the laser to help visualize a direct press out that places the dot in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    It helped me transition to an RDS equipped G19...
    Good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A question is whether you want an instructor running a RDS, or at least very familiar with a RDS.
    Why should that matter? The techniques taught won't be radically different between RDS and irons, yes? From extensive reading, talking with folks going through it, and my own limited experience, it seems to me that getting lined up properly (and quickly) for that all-important first shot is a matter of learning how to adjust one's overall grip and posture to ensure the dot is immediately visible... IOW, I don't have to "hunt" for it. This is the main issue I had in the Givens class... I was using my ingrained grip/posture, and wasn't seeing the dot right away.

I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

But again, what difference does it make if the instructor has one or not?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Why should that matter? The techniques taught won't be radically different between RDS and irons, yes? From extensive reading, talking with folks going through it, and my own limited experience, it seems to me that getting lined up properly (and quickly) for that all-important first shot is a matter of learning how to adjust one's overall grip and posture to ensure the dot is immediately visible... IOW, I don't have to "hunt" for it. This is the main issue I had in the Givens class... I was using my ingrained grip/posture, and wasn't seeing the dot right away.

I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

But again, what difference does it make if the instructor has one or not?

If you reread your third sentence, I think you have answered your own question.

I don't have nearly as much experience with RDS as Doc and George do, but, having shot AFHF curriculum twice, I believe that Todd's technique and methodology of getting a quick and accurate first shot is not something you can fully use with an RDS. You can take a class and it will enrich you anyway and, should you continue pursuing RDS, may help you develop your way of doing it. I just tend to think you'll find Todd's stuff not very conducive to RDS thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you reread your third sentence, I think you have answered your own question.
    Well, I must be dense, as I still don't follow what you're getting at re the instructor aspect of it.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I don't have nearly as much experience with RDS as Doc and George do, but, having shot AFHF curriculum twice, I believe that Todd's technique and methodology of getting a quick and accurate first shot is not something you can fully use with an RDS. You can take a class and it will enrich you anyway and, should you continue pursuing RDS, may help you develop your way of doing it. I just tend to think you'll find Todd's stuff not very conducive to RDS thing.
    Hmmmm... interesting. Thanks for the input.

I'm definitely going to "continue pursuing it"...I have no choice, thanks to macular degeneration.

User Tag List