Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why 10 rnd limits?

The reload when you move thing can get burned in hard. I have to actively suppress the act of reloading for movement where I have enough rounds to complete the next array.

It also makes shooting IDPA a real PITA, but I solved that by not shooting IPDA any more.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 06-30-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I personally dislike the 10 round limit and wish they would change to 15, 17, or a mag length limit like 126mm. The 10 round limit makes stage planning boring and linear in my opinion and severely limits your options for creativity.
    Main reason I am attempting a switch to carry optics right now and looking for a Limited gun as a backup option.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I personally dislike the 10 round limit and wish they would change to 15, 17, or a mag length limit like 126mm. The 10 round limit makes stage planning boring and linear in my opinion and severely limits your options for creativity.
    I disagree. It does add risk to some plans.

Bottom line: don’t mess with Production.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

If you don't like production there are 7 other divisions that play differently, plus multigun and steel challenge for communists.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    If you don't like production there are 7 other divisions that play differently, plus multigun and steel challenge for communists.
    I'm not hating on Production - it's my primary focus, and I enjoy it a lot. That said, there is no division where you can shoot a "basic" gun, load the mags full, and not be at a significant competitive disadvantage. Shoot your Production gun in Limited and tell me you feel like it's "fair" competing against custom 2011s and CZs which are all heavier, have lighter triggers, and have between 3 and 7 rounds more in their mags than you do in yours. Carry Optics is probably the closest, but of course that requires an optic, so that's an added cost. There's no perfect solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ...Bottom line: don’t mess with Production.

Unfortunately the "messing" has already taken place. I know it would make all the gun tweakers (and aftermarket vendors) tweak, but I'd be psyched if Production was more inline with its original intent of being an unmodified out-of-the-box division. With a 10 round cap.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I'm not hating on Production - it's my primary focus, and I enjoy it a lot. That said, there is no division where you can shoot a "basic" gun, load the mags full, and not be at a significant competitive disadvantage. Shoot your Production gun in Limited and tell me you feel like it's "fair" competing against custom 2011s and CZs which are all heavier, have lighter triggers, and have between 3 and 7 rounds more in their mags than you do in yours. Carry Optics is probably the closest, but of course that requires an optic, so that's an added cost. There's no perfect solution.
    It depends on what you mean by "fair".

I shot Limited (minor, evidently) before I knew better and I was never last, and there was always at least a couple of people below me in the stats with a much, much fancier gun and higher PF caliber.

I've said this before, but most of the mods people do to their Limited guns only serve to provide incremental improvement in the standings, and even then it's mostly at the bottom and the top of the pack.

Why 10 rnd limits?

I’ll add one more point: the differences among the USPSA divisions are much smaller than the difference between hit factor scoring and time plus scoring (IDPA & Multigun).

The main reason I don’t compete in IDPA and Multigun anymore is because I find hit factor scoring so much more exciting, challenging, and fun.

HF is what makes USPSA the best.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-30-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Why 10 rnd limits?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’ll add one more point: the differences among the USPSA divisions are much smaller than the difference between hit factor scoring and time plus scoring (IDPA & Multigun).

The main reason I don’t compete in IDPA and Multigun anymore is because I find hit factor scoring so much more exciting, challenging, and fun.

HF is what makes USPSA the best.
    Yep. The whole points per second concept took a bit for me to wrap my head around.

I did this math after getting -30 for a FTE and 2 Mikes missing a target during the walkthrough. Makes an impression. And not getting 2 Alphas...no bueno.

I sucked at my last match, but it was a lot of fun.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-30-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Honestly the average skill level at a local match is low enough where it doesn't really matter. Power factor would only start to hurt if I had to compete against guys hitting maybe A, M, and GM.

YMMV but as a beginner I wouldn't have cared. I shot a 10 round 45 in L10 to start off. Moved to prod with the same gun just so I could be scored against someone. Made A, then finally switched to a 9mm. Right now if I really wanted to I could shoot limited, we all compare scores anyway
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List