Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why 10 rnd limits?

Because some people (like myself) are uninterested in competition specific firearms, just like some guys like F1 and some guys like racing mazdas.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It keeps the playing field level for folks who don't live in free states. Plus, a forced mag change isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Okie John
    This ^^^.

10 was the legal limit for a decade, plus people like round numbers.

I shoot single stack (usually minor) because my gun isn't on the list (STI Trojan). And because SS (major) is the next best thing to revo. Like said, it's a game.

And Peally is right, Limited minor is where newbies should start. It allows learning of safe gun handling and fundamentals without being overwhelmed by mag changes, stage planning, and moving into your backup plan when you blow (miss steel) a position. When I get better at the DA/SA I'll move to CO (slowpen) with a CZ Shadow 2 and Production with the P30.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 06-29-2018 at 08:22 PM.

I flip between Production in "real" USPSA in the summer and Limited minor in an "outlaw" winter league that doesn't have classifiers and therefore doesn't "count." Even going from 10 to 14 or 15 rounds in the mag grants a huge amount of additional flexibility in where you plan your mag changes. I won't say that Production requires more planning than shooting Limited minor with the same gun, but it definitely requires *different* planning, and as others have already said, the disaster factor when you goof something up is significantly higher. I'd say the disaster factor issue is really what makes Production more challenging than Limited.

I don't think that necessarily makes it a bad place for newbies to be, though. If you're new, I think you get even more value than experienced people do out of the additional mag change practice. Nothing like doing it a bunch of times to [eventually] learn to do it right, and if you can get out of the mindset of "I must go super fast," at least at the beginning, I think shooting in a limited-capacity division does pay long-term dividends in learning stage planning.
    Last edited by olstyn; 06-29-2018 at 08:33 PM. Reason: oops, wrong word!

Doing a bunch of slide-lock reloads is a sign that a new shooter might be better off in Limited for a few more matches.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Doing a bunch of slide-lock reloads is a sign that a new shooter might be better off in IDPA for a few more matches.

I joke, I joke!!!
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I personally dislike the 10 round limit and wish they would change to 15, 17, or a mag length limit like 126mm. The 10 round limit makes stage planning boring and linear in my opinion and severely limits your options for creativity.

I think there's a vocal minority of capacity whiners, that I hope don't get mistaken for representing the opinions of the majority of shooters.

I love the 10 round limit. I (stupidly) shot Limited when I first started shooting USPSA because I (mistakenly) thought that having 15 or 17 rounds in the gun was more tacticaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I personally dislike the 10 round limit and wish they would change to 15, 17, or a mag length limit like 126mm. The 10 round limit makes stage planning boring and linear in my opinion and severely limits your options for creativity.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think there's a vocal minority of capacity whiners, that I hope don't get mistaken for representing the opinions of the majority of shooters.
    Even 12 rounds would significantly increase flexibility/options in stage planning on a lot of courses of fire. Whether that would be good, bad, or "eh," is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think it would be fun, but it would hurt people who get into the game with the gun they have, and that gun happens to be a G26 or similar which only holds 10. (That was me - my P99c was the only gun I had for the first 3 or 4 years I was shooting USPSA - I instantly jumped a class when I bought the full size because it's easier to draw with, easier to control recoil with, and has a half inch longer sight radius, so obviously the compact was the wrong gun for the game, but at least it wasn't also at a capacity disadvantage for the division.)

Good thread.

As a complete noob I had not considered Limited Minor. I'll look into that.

I do realize now after fumbling through five matches that slide lock reloads mean I screwed up. Best advice I read recently from @GJM was to reload between arrays of targets, planning to shoot 8 or so at an array. I carry five mags on my belt so at the last match this worked well for me. I still sucked but no slide lock reloads.

As to why 10 rounds I agree with the 'account for equal scores in ban and non ban states'. Guess its the times we live in. It levels equipment / mag capacity differences I suppose as well.

User Tag List