Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why 10 rnd limits?

Why 10 rnd limits?

In Production or in SSP we are limited to 10 rnds per mag. Only been competing for a year and am curious what the reason for that is. Bowing to the gov back in the clinton gun rule days? I shoot a Beretta 92 which used to have standard mags of 15 rnds and now 17 rnds. Dang frustrating to need to do a mag change for 1 or 2 more rnds to finish a stage.
    Yes, I realize everyone in the class has the same restriction but it still seems kind of silly. Heck my M&Pc carry gun is stock w/ 12 rnds and I also have 15 and 17 rnd mags for it.

It keeps the playing field level for folks who don't live in free states. Plus, a forced mag change isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Why 10 rnd limits?

What Okie said. It’s a game, not defensive encounter scenario training. Production is probably the most level playing field as the guns are going to be about as stock as you can make them and no one has a round count or overall equipment advantage.

Also, by forcing people to work with 10 round limits, it forces you to plan out your stages better and think about how to most efficiently complete a stage.

If you don’t like it, you can always compete in Limited or something else. There’s nothing that says you must compete in Production.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Last edited by spinmove_; 06-29-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    What Okie said. It’s a game, not defensive encounter scenario training. Production is probably the most level playing field as the guns are going to be about as stock as you can make them and no one has a round count or overall equipment advantage.

Also, by forcing people to work with 10 round limits, it forces you to plan out your stages better and think about how to most efficiently complete a stage.

If you don’t like it, you can always compete in Limited or something else. There’s nothing that says you must compete in Production.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    It helps differentiate the ‘real’ Production shooters from the riff-raff. With planning and skill the mag changes add little to your time, although they increase time and disaster quite a bit for the unskilled.

People like to think Production is for new shooters. I think the exact opposite.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Limited minor is the new shooters division.

The point of the limit is to indeed have everyone on a level playing field. Production is not the division to shoot in if you don't like stage planning and reloads.
    Last edited by Peally; 06-29-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I like the Production division because it’s challenging and very competitive. The 10 round limit, and minor PF make for a dynamic balance of accuracy and speed. And of course hit factor scoring makes the USPSA game the best on the planet!
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

1994 AWB bans private citizens from buying new magazines larger than 10 rounds.
    USPSA says "No problem, plenty of grandfathered full size magazines out there."
    USPSA vendors selling "magazine repair kits" like hotcakes.
    1996 IDPA organized, says "We want to recruit new shooters buying new guns and magazines, we will have them follow the law."
    USPSA says "Hey, this IDPA thing is doing well, we will set up Production and Limited 10 divisions with 10 round limit for the new guys."
    2004 AWB expires, many people keep on shooting USPSA Production and IDPA which continue 10 round limit for rule stability and accommodation to state laws.
    2004 to date: Internet full of "Why can't I load my gun all the way up for Production and IDPA?"
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Unless you're shooting in the top percentages of clubs and competitors, does it matter? Around me, guys that win or place well do so in whatever division they're shooting, even against open and RDS guns. Shooting major vs minor seems of more consequence, but still less than many might realize. It's just not a big deal, local-level.
    Last edited by ST911; 06-29-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Rules is rules, whether the shooter is competent enough or not is irrelevant.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Production (and IDPA) was meant to be the "anti-Limited/anti-Open" opportunity to compete without spending a very large amount of money on specialized firearms, optics, magazines, etc. Also, as pointed out earlier, multiple locations were magazine capacity limited. It also allows a wider variety of firearms (aka sponsors) to participate. The goal was to not have another "arms race". Anther thread - not to drift this one!- might be "why do people compete in Production and IDPA with pistols that will never be actually used outside of competition?"

User Tag List