Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol for a sister for ccw HELP!!

Pistol for a sister for ccw HELP!!

The search continues. Last time we went to the range she shot the HK P30 LEM, LCR, Kahr P9 and the Beretta PX4 sk.
    She Liked and shot the Beretta best.
    Today she shot the PPS, Nano, Glock 19 and 26, and again the Beretta PX4. She liked and shot the Glock 19 the best.
    Then the friggin gun store clerks got her started on a 380, explaining to her how the 380 in a scuffle would do everything she needed to do all the way out to 15 yards. told her how a pelvic shot at point blank range would stop the assailant from walking. grrrrr. I think they had both just started shaving last week and I am pretty damn sure neither one of them has heard the whistle of a close miss or seen people shot or die. Sometimes my patience is nothing short of amazing. I do recall making the comment at one point that a 380 was better than a sharp stick.
    Anyway I need some input from the female members or from instructors who deal with women and ccw. She wants to CCW but doesnt think she can hide the Glock 19.
    I told her that I thought she would eventually end up with 2 pistols. One Nano sized and one 19 sized.
    Thoughts input concerns experiences whatever would help.
    I have zero experience with women who ccw.

friggin gun store clerks
    I have zero problems being ugly, rude and brutal with a clerk who is a mouth breather.

Take a look at www.corneredcat.com for some good advice on ladies and concealment strategies.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    I have zero problems being ugly, rude and brutal with a clerk who is a mouth breather.

Take a look at www.corneredcat.com for some good advice on ladies and concealment strategies.
    I should have informed them that the three nine thousand magnum was the true best choice for ccw.

The handgun that I recommend to females the most is the M&P 9mm. Let her pick the model size for her application, like my wife trains with the full size and carry's the compact.
    The small grip typical works the best.
    But your on the right track let Her chose!!!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Not a female and not a paid instructor but I have an adamant not all that humble opinion regarding this. I offer it to my wife, to our female friends who have licenses to CCW here. None of them are willing to complete change their style to dress around a gun as I would. If they want to start carrying, I think they should pick something compact enough that they'll really carry it for obvious damn reasons. In this context - first gun should be the one they'll really carry consistently right away. TOP priority it to have it handy and be able to shoot a crawler off of them from 5-7 yards and CLOSER vs a gun they can shoot a sub 10 sec El Pres with. Your point that she'll eventually really want two as you described is brilliant on several levels.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I've been doing CCW courses with women for a few decades, and if there is one over-riding thing I have learned from that it is to let them pick a gun and caliber THEY like. If they don't like it they are less likely to practice with it and less likely to carry it. Caliber really doesn't play that big a part in solving most DGU events, and if the choice is a gun/caliber combination I like and she won't carry versus a gun/caliber combination I don't like and she will carry, I'll go with the latter every time (assuming adequate reliability).
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

She wants to CCW but doesnt think she can hide the Glock 19.
    I should have been more clear. She wants to CCW on body and doesn't have a problem dressing around it.

The handgun that I recommend to females the most is the M&P 9mm.
    We haven't shot it because of the accuracy issues I have read about here. Seems like too much of a crap shoot.

I've been doing CCW courses with women for a few decades, and if there is one over-riding thing I have learned from that it is to let them pick a gun and caliber THEY like.
    She liked the Glock 19 best.

In this context - first gun should be the one they'll really carry consistently right away. TOP priority it to have it handy and be able to shoot a crawler off of them from 5-7 yards and CLOSER vs a gun they can shoot a sub 10 sec El Pres with. Your point that she'll eventually really want two as you described is brilliant on several levels.
    I hear that all the time. You are correct, excellent points. I told her today she is going to have to take some classes and she is not going to want to take a class with a nano. The first gun needs to be an all around gun with specialty "ie: tiny" gun to follow. I have also learned that my extreme disdain for shopping does not extend to gun stores and other peoples money.

My thoughts at this moment are to have her go back and shoot the Glock 19 against the HK P30LEM. If she chooses the HK then I am going to recommend the P2000 sk LEM. If the Glock wins then it will have to be the 19 because the 26 pinched her finger. I am at the point right now that I think the smaller guns will take a good bit of additional training to get her accurate and she is accurate right now with the glock 19.

The question remains how the heck is she going to carry the pistol? I mean who makes a holster designed for women for a HK P2000sk or a Glock 19?
    Last edited by UNK; 03-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.

I didn't realize crusty old Army retiree's could be so helpful concerning women's fashions Thanks buddy, I'll pass it along. good info.

More advice on concealed carry for women from an actual woman!

Shelley (the author of those posts) is 5'3 and weighs a scrap over 100lbs, and she can conceal a full size M&P 9mm. The Glock 19 shouldn't be a problem for your wife.

User Tag List