Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: “Go To” Pocket Holsters

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I use the excellent PCS Blackbird pocket holster for my 642-1. Works very well with jeans.
    Glad to read that. I have been pondering ordering one for a Walther TPH.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I've used 'em all, for J-frame revolvers, and I do mean all, including Kramer, Alessi, Mika and several other makers' models, and the AHolster Pocket Backbone excels them all, both in concealability and accessability.
    FWIW.
    My experience mirrors @SAWBONES

Name:  IMG_0339.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  51.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Having tried several different versions, I also agree that the Aholster is best. The front hook is what really sets it apart IMO. It allows for a vertical draw from the front pocket with no need to pull backward or press to one side in order to leave the holster behind.

Site Supporter
    The only gun I pocket carry anymore is a J Frame and I use a Kramer for it.

I am a fan of pocket carry, with a holster of course. Several years back, I used a Mika holster extensively, but after a couple of years I found the band of sticky rubber that held the holster in place lost its sticky and the holster would stay on the gun when drawn. Perhaps two years or so was enough, or perhaps I could have modded the holster, but I moved on. I like pocket holsters that have some sort of tab or ledge one can use to push off the holster on draw.

I discovered by accident a pretty useful setup:

It's a J frame in the Desantis Nemesis designed for the Kahr P380 w/ Laser Grips (Size is U9)

Advantages:

-Less bulky in the pocket then the dedicated J-frame Nemesis, but still breaks up the outline

-Holds the pistol fairly loosely, so holster does not come out on the draw

-The exposed trigger allows the gun to still be fired should the holster remain stuck on the pistol from the draw (say from a very loose cargo pocket + Murphy.)

The last is to my mind the most important advantage. I was very concerned with the possibility of the holster staying with the gun on the draw - rendering it unable to be fired - and this holster makes that impossible. Obviously you cant use the sights with the holster on, but for close range work point shooting is better then no-shooting; a bad option being preferable to disaster.
    Last edited by spyderco monkey; 01-08-2021 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    The exposed trigger
    Isn't that the issue a pocket holster is supposed to be addressing?

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Isn't that the issue a pocket holster is supposed to be addressing?
    For an auto, absolutely.

For a J-frame, not really. There's like a 70 year history of them being tossed into pockets sans holster without issue. With a DAO 12lb trigger with ~1" of travel , carried in a pocket by itself, I'm not concerned. Others may feel differently.

To me, the risk of the holster staying with the pistol on the draw is more of a concern.

The holster for my use is to keep the pistol oriented upright and secure in the pocket, and break up printing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    For an auto, absolutely.

For a J-frame, not really. There's like a 70 year history of them being tossed into pockets sans holster without issue. With a DAO 12lb trigger with ~1" of travel , carried in a pocket by itself, I'm not concerned. Others may feel differently.

To me, the risk of the holster staying with the pistol on the draw is more of a concern.

The holster for my use is to keep the pistol oriented upright and secure in the pocket, and break up printing.
    I think I would just go with a better pocket holster that will stay in the pocket and not risk shooting myself.

User Tag List