Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Retiring a bit early............

Site Supporter
    Congrats and good luck. I didn’t want to retire but I got hurt. Life goes on. I just had an oral board with the sheriff’s office for court security. It was strange going down to the court house, saw some familiar faces. Saw a lot of misery that I did not miss.

For the last month I've been going through a plethora of medical tests for the new job. Getting tests scheduled and completed in the federal governments less than flexible timeline was a real source of aggravation. My doctor really rolled his eyes at what he termed, "totally unnecessary" testing. Fortunately he was very helpful in getting a lot of this stuff done in a timely manner, regardless of his opinion. Thankfully, I mailed it all off today and hopefully that completes the most arduous part of the process.

The job is working as a Court Security Officer in the federal court system, under contract with the US Marshal's Service. In a recent conversation with the state coordinator, who's serving as my main contact point, I told him, "I thought I was applying to be a glorified security guard, not a member of SEAL Team 6." Fortunately the guy has a sense of humor. If the pay wasn't good and the schedule perfect I might have to wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze. On the positive side, everyone's acting as if all of this is more or less a formality and I already have the job. Hopefully I'm done with most of the leg work on my end and it's just a waiting game from here on out.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Cool. Will you be working a post or some other duty? I'm under the impression they can use CSOs however they see fit, including doing protection for a judge which I imagine is a pretty light lift.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Cool. Will you be working a post or some other duty? I'm under the impression they can use CSOs however they see fit, including doing protection for a judge which I imagine is a pretty light lift.
    Essentially, all of the above. The job entails standing post at facility entrances, assisting in prisoner transport, personal protection for judges, etc.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The guys that work our Federal courthouse here in town all seem to be real happy with their jobs. I do believe that most, if not all, of them were former local LE.

I can't remember which infamous defendant it was that came here some years back (I'm thinking Eric Rudolph) but I was in the traffic/special ops division then and we had to assist the Feds with that endeavor. We helped harden up their facilities some with water filled barricades, plenty of staff, marksmen on rooftops......and they were quite gracious and appreciative of everything we did for them. Your gig will probably have an occasional well known cretin that you will have to be on high alert for.

Out of all the post LE gigs out there, Federal court security is about the only one that appeals to me........somewhat. I have threatened to never hold a badge of any sort in the future but if the pay was good, I might reconsider such a job.

Good luck to you.

I have a number of former LSP buddies who have worked or are working federal court security. They all have good things to say about the gig. Not sure if it applies to your location, but a number of them had a good bit of flexibility in the days/hrs they scheduled.
    Last edited by LSP552; 09-08-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Most of the retired guys that worked as court security contractors in the federal courthouse in Miami seemed to be both good guys and pretty content with the work.

To me it seemed a bit mind numbing, but I thought the same in regard to the marshals assigned courthouse duty instead of working warrants.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Most of the retired guys that worked as court security contractors in the federal courthouse in Miami seemed to be both good guys and pretty content with the work.

To me it seemed a bit mind numbing, but I thought the same in regard to the marshals assigned courthouse duty instead of working warrants.
    The mind numbing thing is true, which exactly why they hire retired LE. The job is a good fit for an older person. They are looking for two things both of which are normally the product of experience:

1) Someone whose idea of a good day is “nothing bad happened”
    2) yet, that same person must be able to handle trouble if a bad day does happen.

I’ve worked with plenty of people who fit #1 but are worse than useless in the event of # 2.

I’ve also worked with many people who meet criteria number 2, however, the worst thing you can do with many of these people is bore them. They need to be out turning over rocks, at least in their prime. If you take a young police k9 like a Belgian Malinois and leave him in the house all day he is gonna eat your couch.

Locally, the DUSMs rotate between court and warrant duty.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-08-2018 at 11:16 AM.

I think being a “blue coat” is a pretty good retirement gig. The money seems good anyway. Locally, they’ve all had to start wearing their vests while they’re on post, which, of course, they’ve been complaining about constantly. Not sure if that was just in this district or agency-wide.

Don't let your guard down

It's a job where you go from a steady 55 m.p.h. for years and then make the jump to light speed.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2010/ja...deral-buildin/

Everyone I met at Lloyd George was very upbeat and pleased with the job. You'll have fun!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List