Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Retiring a bit early............

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I think I want to take a clue from you and learn how to tell people "no fucks given" and "go fuck yourself", and give up some of my archaic, forced CIT ways.

pat

Hey, maybe that's a possible job prospect. I could start my own company, "Warrior Fucks Given Tactical", or "GFY Dynamics". Communication skills for the not-so poetic warrior.

Hmmmmmmmmmm……………………..
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-28-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Welcome to the Retire/Rehire Program Brother... 7 1/2 years to go before my Second Retirement....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Well, I've got a physical scheduled for next Monday and I've been looking for military and LE paperwork and certifications I haven't seen in over a quarter of a century. I also spent the day filling out Govt. paperwork. I'd forgotten how fun that is.

On the up side (of course it's all up from here really), I talked to the state retirement people this morning. I thought I had to stay until at least December. Apparently I was off on my understanding of the comprehensive and easy to understand retirement system (sarcasm emoji here). It appears that I can go whenever I damned well please as of right now. I'm still staying to the end of the year, but I'm definitely in three-bad-days-in-a-row mode. Now is not the time to poke the bear.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-02-2018 at 09:29 PM.

I aced the physical on Monday and sent in the first stack of forms and I'm now waiting on the second stack that's surely coming.

I've also firmed up things with the State retirement folks and it looks like my last day in uniform will be November 12th. Everyone wants to know if I'm going to have an official retirement party. I'm not sure, since I have no use for our current top brass and have little desire to stand there and listen to their insincerities. On the other hand, I could stipulate that they're not allowed to attend which is my choice by policy, so that might be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I aced the physical on Monday and sent in the first stack of forms and I'm now waiting on the second stack that's surely coming.

I've also firmed up things with the State retirement folks and it looks like my last day in uniform will be November 12th. Everyone wants to know if I'm going to have an official retirement party. I'm not sure, since I have no use for our current top brass and have little desire to stand there and listen to their insincerities. On the other hand, I could stipulate that they're not allowed to attend which is my choice by policy, so that might be worthwhile.
    My EOD for federal service was 11/20. November seems to be a good month. Congrats, Trooper.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My EOD for federal service was 11/20. November seems to be a good month. Congrats, Trooper.
    Thanks. The retirement folks really seemed confused as to why I didn't want to go right now, since I was eligible. Even after I told them I'd like to keep drawing a paycheck and use the cheaper medical insurance as long as possible. If it doesn't coincide with their spreadsheet they get confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Thanks. The retirement folks really seemed confused as to why I didn't want to go right now, since I was eligible. Even after I told them I'd like to keep drawing a paycheck and use the cheaper medical insurance as long as possible. If it doesn't coincide with their spreadsheet they get confused.
    I hear that. I put my in my papers in September but officially retired in January of the following year. I had plenty of "use or lose" and basically just coasted for the most part. Spent most of my time trying to train a couple of young guys who had attached themselves to me during that year.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Good for you. Half the battle is knowing when it is time to pop smoke and pull the eject handle.

I had several federal offers over the years. I specialized in Gangs-Narcotics, so I was always working with feds on different task force assignments. BUT...I was a single dad with two YOUNG sons...so I always turned them down. Now, my boys are 24 and 22 respectively. My oldest is with a county agency, and my youngest just graduated from the academy and will be working for my old agency. My daughter (with my current wife) is 15 and threatening to go into LE as well.

If your brain is engaged and it's telling you it's a good move for you...then go for it amigo. You made it this long on the job, so your instincts and ability to analyze possibilities are better than most.
    When everyone around you is running, screaming, and losing their minds...look for the quiet old gray haired cop because he's about to kick down some doors and sort some unruly bastards out.

This afternoon, I spent three and a half hours filling out background check e-forms on the computer. Government sure likes its forms and the higher you go the worse it gets. At one point I was wondering if it was all a test to determine how much I wanted the job. If nothing else, I did so with the satisfaction of knowing this is probably the last government circus I'll ever ride an elephant in. Also, 66 working days left.

Site Supporter
    If it was for a security clearance, you get to update it every five years. And get used to peeing into a bottle.

User Tag List