Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Retiring a bit early............

You're all very correct about the boredom. I suspect staying alert is probably the biggest challenge on the job. The majority of the positions here in my state are filled by retired Troopers. I already know a lot of them and their mindset is my mindset, so it will be a good fit. That's why they came looking for me instead of someone else. Those connections really helped. You don't have to be a retired LEO to get the job, but that seems to be what they go for. I don't think it would be a good fit for a young guy who really wants to be a hard charger. It's ideally suited for guys like me, who's hard charging days are largely in the past but who can still handle whatever walks through the front door. I was a bit disappointed when I was measured for body armor. I was hoping I'd seen the last of that after three decades, but if that's all I have to complain about I'll take it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

A friend of mine is doing the court security gig up here in the Federal courthouse in Dayton. She loves it. Have fun.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Eleven days to go...………………….

I heard from the USMS. I've been medically approved and my background investigation is underway. As soon as it's complete I'll be contacted by my district supervisor to set up a start date, probably by the end of the year or the first of next which is perfect timing. It's all falling into place.

I have four working days left on the road. Two nights ago, I was directly involved in a pursuit that took us through two counties, ended in a crash and was followed by a manhunt in 17 degree weather. Tonight, I've been dealing with the first snow storm of the year and all the ensuing shenanigans. I think someone is trying to make sure I don't have any separation anxiety.

It's working.

CWM11B
    Congrats again. I just hit my one year retired anniversary this month, I am going to have to look in to this gig. I'm not where I envisioned or want to be at this point.
    Last edited by CWM11B; 11-12-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Mother nature? I say good day sir!

And so it ends.

Sunday I turned in all of my equipment and today was my retirement reception. The gold watch was nice, so was the engraved mantel clock, However, I couldn't help noticing they misspelled my last name on the plaque. The irony of that did not escape me. My Captain did surprise me by presenting me with my badge. Per policy, we're required to pay for it if we want to keep it. That rankled me, so I turned it in with everything else, but the Captain decided to flaunt policy. If you knew the man you'd know how rare that is, so I was touched. I also was presented with my retirement creds that allow my to still pack heat, so the important stuff was covered.

A lot of people showed up that I hadn't seen in some time, like my two room mates from my academy days and my first shift partner. Touching things were said and sea stories were told. Due to the fact that some participants are still on the job, some stories had to be withheld for a later date. Most of my crew from the dog watch dragged themselves out of bed to come, something I greatly appreciated.

Things really ramped up for the last few months of my career and it seemed as if the universe was determined to prevent me from getting out in one piece, but I made it. My old Lieutenant came down during my last night on the job to say goodbye. While we were sitting in HQ the radio squawked up with a stolen vehicle alert. He looked at me and said, "Stay in that seat and don't move." I was happy to comply. Things feel very strange right now, as if I've lost a part of myself, but I expected that and it will pass. The new job starts at the end of the year and I'll be glad to get back into something, but for now I'll enjoy the breather.

Site Supporter
    Congrats, you earned it! Two months off and you’ll be out of ammo and all your favorite guns will need cleaning.

Site Supporter
    You have every reason to feel proud. And be aware that you were hand picked for the new job.You did not fall into it. Best of luck to you.

Congratulations!
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List