Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A proper traffic stop

Site Supporter

A proper traffic stop

I'm sure many people have wondered what they would do if they got stopped while carrying - I know I did! Well, while coming home today, I found out. A borough LEO (I live in South Central Pa) pulled me over (as luck would have it, right across the street from my house!) because it seems that between my wife and I, we had neglected to renew the registration on my car, which had expired. Immediately, everything I had ever read about a situation like this went through my head. First and foremost, I kept my hands on the steering wheel - not moving until the officer told me what to do. He asked for my registration and driver's license. I produced both, adding my CCL, which is always right behind my license in my wallet. He saw the CCL and asked: "Do you have it with you now?" I said that I did - when he asked where - I said that it was on me. He said: "Leave it right where it is." After completing our "business," we went our separate ways. I've always loved small towns.
    Last edited by 11B10; 06-26-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I'm sure many people have wondered what they would do if they got stopped while carrying - I know I did! Well, while coming home today, I found out. A borough LEO (I live in South Central Pa) pulled me over (as luck would have it, right across the street from my house!) because it seems that between my wife and I, we had neglected to renew the registration on my car, which had expired. Immediately, everything I had ever read about a situation like this went through my head. First and foremost, I kept my hands on the steering wheel - not moving until the officer told me what to do. He asked for my registration and driver's license. I produced both, adding my CCL, which is always right behind my license in my wallet. He saw the CCL and asked: "Do you have it with you now?" I said that I did - when he asked where - I said that it was on me. He said: "Leave it right where it is." After completing our "business," we went our separate ways. I've always loved small towns.
    So what should have been a non event was......a non event.

Around here, the officer usually just says "Don't show me yours, and I won't show you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Around here, the officer usually just says "Don't show me yours, and I won't show you mine."
    Same here.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    I haven't been pulled over and pretty close to 10 years. The Colorado State Patrol officer that pulled me over literally did not give me a chance open my mouth. He walked up to the car and said " I'm Trooper soandso with the Colorado State Patrol. The reason I pulled you over today was speeding. I clocked you going 68 in a 55 zone and I will be citing you for your speed today. May I have your driver's license registration and proof of insurance." I mean it really was just that fast. He never bothered to ask if I had any weapons in the car I never bothered to tell him.

In the state of Colorado I'm not required to inform unless I am asked and I don't.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I haven't been pulled over and pretty close to 10 years. The Colorado State Patrol officer that pulled me over literally did not give me a chance open my mouth. He walked up to the car and said " I'm Trooper soandso with the Colorado State Patrol. The reason I pulled you over today was speeding. I clocked you going 68 in a 55 zone and I will be citing you for your speed today. May I have your driver's license registration and proof of insurance." I mean it really was just that fast. He never bothered to ask if I had any weapons in the car I never bothered to tell him.

In the state of Colorado I'm not required to inform unless I am asked and I don't.
    Somebody has been to Verbal Judo class...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm Trooper soandso with the Colorado State Patrol. The reason I pulled you over today was speeding. I clocked you going 68 in a 55 zone and I will be citing you for your speed today. May I have your driver's license registration and proof of insurance.
    On the rare occasion that I do traffic stop, that’s what I do. That’s a byproduct of agencies accepting complaints about mean and rude officers giving lectures instead of tickets.
    Last edited by txdpd; 06-27-2018 at 06:57 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Were you required to provide your CCL?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Somebody has been to Verbal Judo class...

pat
    To be honest I prefer this to the whole "Do you know why I pulled you over today?" game. In general the cops in Colorado don't give warnings so I'd rather they just tell me from the start.
    Last edited by Cypher; 06-27-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    On the rare occasion that I do traffic stop, that’s what I do. That’s a byproduct of agencies accepting complaints about mean and rude officers giving lectures instead of tickets.
    Yup, never lecture. I have done the Verbal Judo thing since my rookie days. "I'm officer X with PD. The reason I stopped you today was Y. Is there are reason for that?" "License, registration, insurance."

Then if I wanted to do interdiction stuff, the interdiction stuff.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List