Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW! Malkoff Bodyguard

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Overall, it appears to be a nice light. I will compare it to the XT1C after dark tonight.
    My guess is that the Bodyguard will have a brighter hot spot/longer throw due to using a TIR lens vs. a reflector. According to the specs the XT1C weighs 1.76 ounces vs. 2.2 ounces for the Bodyguard, which is typical of the heavier Malkoff construction.

Let us know the results of your night time comparison!

Site Supporter
    After shining both lights across some big athletic fields, I had a very hard time spotting a difference between the two.

Although the XT1C has a higher lumens rating, I would expect a bit more conservative estimates from Gene Malkoff, so output is likely closer than the numbers indicate.

Hot spots appear about equally bright, with the Malkoff being perhaps slightly bigger, but again, any difference is really small.

The Malkoff drops down quickly and noticeably after a very short time, just as Gene describes on his website. For a single mode light with such high output from a small cell, this is a good thing for preserving battery life if the light is being used for mundane tasks.

I think the biggest advantage fo me will simply be decreased likelihood of having the light switch on and drain itself in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    One other point about the Bodyguard v. XT1C: the Malkoff light uses a purely mechanical switch, verses the electronic mode/strobe switch of the Klarus light. An electronic switch causes a small amount of current drain when the light is off. While this has been a complete non-issue with any of the 4 XT2C lights I have carried, or my Terralux TT1-EX, it has been a very noticable issue with the XT1C. If the Malkoff light is not used for a long period of time, it has not been draining the battery during that time, and can still be counted on.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I purchased the shroudless body and have found it to be excellent for the intended application: it's easier to grip and the lack of a shroud around the button makes it far easier to activate. Malkoff really got it right with this one!

The true flashlight nerd that I am, I now actually carry two lights - the Bodyguard in my left (weak side) front pocket for defensive purposes and my other Malkoff MDC light in my right pocket for utilitarian purposes. The light on the right is an assembly of a shrouded 1-CR123 body, a VME head and a M361 LMH drop-in (15-80-400 lumens, controlled via the tail switch). Both are powered by a single Orbtronic 16340 700mAh cell;

Good to hear that about the shroudless body. I have one arriving tomorrow for my MCD.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Both are powered by a single Orbtronic 16340 700mAh cell
    I'm keen to try these in my CR123 lights, (mainly SL Protac 1L-1AA), but am nervous at the same time, as SL makes no mention of them, and I am way out of my lane.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 07-20-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I'm keen to try these in my CR123 lights, (mainly SL Protac 1L-1AA), but am nervous at the same time, as SL makes no mention of them, and I am way out of my lane.
    I wish all manufacturers would include the safe range of input voltages for their lights. With the ProTac 1L-1AA it's safe to say that the top end of the range is at least 3.2 volts, same as a new CR123A battery, but a 16340 Li-ion cell is 4.2 volts fresh off the charger.

This is the only reference I can find - https://www.streamlight.com/docs/def...c1L-1AA_op.pdf

"NOTE: This product is not designed to use a rechargeable CR123 cell."

Seems like a no-go....

Site Supporter
    I would not use them in any light that is not specifically designed to accept them. The difference in voltage would significantly shorten the lifespan of the light, even if it works initially.

I have been looking at the K2 Energy LFP123A Lion Rechargeable as they are 3.2V batteries. However, they do require a charger that can charge Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePO4 batteries. Surefire had something to do with this type of battery a few years back but it disappeared.

That Bodyguard is calling my name. I fear I'll order one in the next month.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 07-21-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    That Bodyguard is calling my name. I fear I'll order one in the next month.
    Really pleased with mine. The output and beam pattern, as well as the simple (i.e. foolproof) UI makes it ideal for the intended purpose...and as expected with Malkoff products, the build quality is second to none. At 3.7 inches long and 2.4 ounces, it sure is a lot easier to carry in a front pocket than a 6P size light.

User Tag List