Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW! Malkoff Bodyguard

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Anyone know: what is a “shroud”?
    It's the raised portion on the tail end of the body that surrounds the switch. It basically makes the switch recessed so that the light can "tail stand."

The "shroudless" body has the switch standing proud from the back, making it easier to get to but does not allow the light to stand on its tail.

The Tricap on your new light is basically shrouded for tail standing but with three scallop-shaped cut-outs to allow easy access to the switch.

Ah. Thanks. (I thought it might be a thicker, double walled body.)
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Bodyguard head is here, installed on Malkoff MDC 2-CR123 body and using a 16650 Li-ion protected cell;

Initial Impressions

As is always the case with Malkoff products, it exudes quality. The electronics are fully potted directly into the bezel, no circuitry visible.

The hot spot is considerably wider than the M61T, with perhaps slightly less lux (throw) - but it is very close.

Compared to the M361 LMH drop-in on maximum (400 lumens), the Bodyguard is much brighter (no comparison, really).

Odd behavior: when activating the light, there is a micro-second of reduced output before snapping into max output. It is extremely quick, but noticeable - almost like a fast strobe.

Step-down to 150 lumen mode is sharp and instant. I timed it at around 8.5 seconds.

The output is noticeably higher on a pair of CR123 batteries.

Size Comparison Photo

Left to right: MDC -1-CR123 body with VME head, Bodyguard head/2-CR123 body in center, Wildcat v.6/MD2 with Tricap combo on the left;

The MDC/VME combo weighs 4.0 ounces with an IMR 16340 cell, as does the Bodyguard/2-CR123 body combo with a 16650 cell. Wildcat/MD2 combo weighs 6.4 ounces with a pair of IMR 16350 cells.

The Bodyguard/2-CR123 body combo rides very comfortably clipped in a front pocket.

I will spend some time tonight outside getting a better look at its beam characteristics compared to the other lights. So far I'm liking it!

Nice. My bodyguard came Friday but I won't get to play with it until tomorrow

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Had a chance to check out the Bodyguard outside in the dark, and it is impressive. My guess is that the Bodyguard is a variation of the E2 Super/Scout M600 2CR123 High Output Head that is intended for weapon-mounted use.

When stepped-down to 150 lumens, the beam remains extremely useful - more than adequate for general utilitarian purposes.

Mounted on the 2-CR123 body and using a 16650 2500mah Li-ion rechargeable cell, the runtime should be quite generous.

No doubt this light will be coming with me to the Low Light Pistol Operator course next month!

Wow this light is tiny.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 07-01-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Wow this light is tiny.
    On a 1-CR123 body it really is. Makes it very easy to carry but more difficult to hold on to.

I have found the 2-CR123 body is long enough to establish a good hold without much (if any) sacrifice in practical portability. The threefold increase in runtime using a 16650 Li-ion cell is also a major plus.

Site Supporter
    The light arrived today. It is slightly longer than my XT1C, and is an ideal size for ease of use. The button is partially recessed, which was not really apparent in the photos. Momentary activation can be accomplished without depressing the button past the edge of the shroud, but clicking the light into constant on does require going past the end of the shroud. This is a well thought out switch/shroud design. Even if I momentarily activate the light in my pocket, it is unlikely to stay on once pressure is removed.

The light came with a Battery Station CR123. I replaced it with a 16340 to take advantage of the Li-Ion advantages.

Overall, it appears to be a nice light. I will compare it to the XT1C after dark tonight.

Can someone please share the OAL of the Bodyguard with the 1-CR123 body?

I'm curious to see how it company to the small flashlights I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Can someone please share the OAL of the Bodyguard with the 1-CR123 body?
    3-3/4" AOL including button switch.

User Tag List