Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW! Malkoff Bodyguard

NEW! Malkoff Bodyguard

Looks like the rumors are true - Malkoff is slowly rolling out some new products!

New on the Malkoff website today and promoted as a tactical use light are the MDC Bodyguard Flashlight and MDC Bodyguard head. The Bodyguard head looks just like the Malkoff E2 heads designed primarily for WMLs with one important difference - the Bodyguard appears to be designed specifically for hand held EDC lights. The Malkoff website states that the Bodyguard uses a TIR lens "for a good balance of spot and spill."

The specs on the head look like this;

• Designed to run on either a single CR123, two CR123s or a single Li-ion rechargeable cell
    • The output always starts on maximum, rolls off slightly within a few seconds and holds that high output for 10 seconds, then drops to a medium continuous output
    • A quick off-on of the switch resets the light to maximum and starts the cycle again

Output specs as follows;

• Single CR123 - 450 lumens momentary, 375 lumens for 10 seconds, then 150 lumens continuous
    • Single Li-ion cell - 600 lumens momentary, 550 lumens for 10 seconds, then 150 lumens continuous
    • Two CR123s - 900 lumens momentary, 750 lumens for 10 seconds, then 180 lumens continuous

It's obvious this head will work the best with a MDC 2-CR123 body that will accept either a pair of CR123 batteries or a high capacity 16650 LI-ion cell for maximum run time. Impressive output for a small EDC light!

I like the programming of the light, starting in what could be described as a turbo mode then ramping down to a very useful 150 - 180 lumens. This make a lot of sense for a self-defense light as short bursts are typically how they are used. The more I thought about this unique operation the more it appealed to me. Needless to say I could not resist and have a Bodyguard head inbound to use on my 2-CR123 body. I will report back this weekend after I receive the head and have a chance to check it out.

That ring on it is a real bummer. Maybe you can tell me if you can pair the head with a different body and still get the same output modes?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    That ring on it is a real bummer. Maybe you can tell me if you can pair the head with a different body and still get the same output modes?
    Yes, can do! Just buy the Bodyguard head and use it with either the 1-CR123 body or the 2-CR123 body.

I'll be interested to see your review, NH. Right now, I still default to my Surefire 6z or E2e, (with Malkoff drop-in and head respectively), for such usage. A little longer to carry but I've owned them for years and Malkoff breathed new life into them a few years back.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'll be interested to see your review, NH. Right now, I still default to my Surefire 6z or E2e, (with Malkoff drop-in and head respectively), for such usage.
    I hear ya, Blues. I've been using a MDC light for EDC: the M61N drop-in with a VME head. It is pretty good, but I wish for higher output and/or higher lumens. The M61T might be perfect but does not fit the VME head. The high output E2 heads intended for WML use fit the bill for high output, but with only one output level may be too hot for any other hand held light use (a bezel switch for the MDC lights would be a home run IMO).

This new Bodyguard variation seems perfect for the application - I will know for sure later this week!

Have a bodyguard on the way too. I might be in a force on force class next week so it could get some good use

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 06-27-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Site Supporter
    That light with a head twist for say 25 lumen low, would be wonderful. I received my MDC tac the other day and have been playing with it. The on time as the switching mode is something to get used to.
    Adam

That head with 2 cell body looks amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Bookmarked ... (Spending freeze, as per "she who must be obeyed" and the move to FL)

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Yes, can do! Just buy the Bodyguard head and use it with either the 1-CR123 body or the 2-CR123 body.
    Oh oh...this is trouble. Ha ha. I'm really liking this new Bodyguard head to use on a 16650 battery and body. Already have the 2 pieces in my cart at their website.

NH Shooter, can you please, once you receive it, give us some dimensions and weight and of course a review? I'm curious to see how it compares size-wise to a SF 6P since that's the closest light I currently have outside of a Nitecore SRT 3.

User Tag List