Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW! Malkoff Bodyguard

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I wish all manufacturers would include the safe range of input voltages for their lights. With the ProTac 1L-1AA it's safe to say that the top end of the range is at least 3.2 volts, same as a new CR123A battery, but a 16340 Li-ion cell is 4.2 volts fresh off the charger.

This is the only reference I can find - https://www.streamlight.com/docs/def...c1L-1AA_op.pdf

"NOTE: This product is not designed to use a rechargeable CR123 cell."

Seems like a no-go....
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I would not use them in any light that is not specifically designed to accept them. The difference in voltage would significantly shorten the lifespan of the light, even if it works initially.
    Thank you both for the responses. Looks like my hesitation is well founded, and that discretion is the better part of valor.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Looking at the Bodyguard flashlight it has a distinct collar where the head meets the body. How do those of you that have the complete light like that collar? I didn't think I'd want the collar but after putting the body o-ring on my MD M61HOT light I've discovered that I like the added traction I get on the light.
    I've looked on the MD website but I can't figure out if the collar is on the head or the body.

I took the ring off. It made it difficult to use the pocket clip in my pocket. It's a separate ring that fits between the head and body

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 07-24-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    I took the ring off. It made it difficult to use the pocket clip in my pocket. It's a separate ring that fits between the head and body

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Perfect! Thank you!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Looking at the Bodyguard flashlight it has a distinct collar where the head meets the body. How do those of you that have the complete light like that collar? I didn't think I'd want the collar but after putting the body o-ring on my MD M61HOT light I've discovered that I like the added traction I get on the light.
    I've looked on the MD website but I can't figure out if the collar is on the head or the body.
    At least in my hands, I cannot get a proper Rogers/Surefire/cigar hold on this light and effectively work the switch. I have still left the ring on since it could potentially help with placing the light in a different spot than my head if shooting around weak side cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

See photo below - between the paracord lanyard and the two O-rings, I get a good grip for a cigar hold;

I tried the Delrin ring but also found it made using the clip difficult.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 07-25-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Update

Since I last posted in this thread, Malkoff introduced a v.2 version of the complete Bodyguard flashlight and separate head (the complete v.2 flashlight comes with a 18650 body).

Bodyguard v.1 flashlight

v.1 head only

Bodyguard v.2 flashlight

v.2 head only

The main difference between the v.1 and v.2 heads is operating voltage. The v.1 is rated for 3.0 volts to 6.0 volts. On a single CR123A lithium battery, the v.1 is rated at 450 lumens, 600 lumens with a single 16340 Li-ion cell and 900 lumens on two CR123A batteries. The v.2 head is rated for 3.4 volts to 6 volts, producing 1000 lumens on either a single Li-ion cell or two CR123A batteries. Comparing the v.1 head on two CR123A batteries to the v.2 head on a single Li-ion cell yields identical results (900 to 1000 lumens). The v.2 head will operate on a single CR123A battery but only produce about half the output at 3.0 volts vs. the v.1 head.

Since I use Li-ion cells almost exclusively (4.2 volts fresh off the charger), I purchased the v.2 head to run on the v.1 body. It provides full output (1000 lumens) on a single 16340 Li-ion cell, which makes the little light a real pocket rocket. Runtime is limited to about 15 minutes at full output, but for defensive flash-'n-dash use I find that more than adequate. You can Lego this light using the v.2 head and the 1-CR123 shroudless body.

A lot of photon firepower is a very compact and easy-to-carry package!

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the update. I really like my version 1 Bodyguard for pocket carry. I doubt I would switch to the version 2 head because I like the idea of having a head that is designed for both 16340 and CR123 in this size light. The version 2 does look very interesting with an 18650 body, and looks like it would work well with a CCC basic light pouch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Update

Since I last posted in this thread, Malkoff introduced a v.2 version of the complete Bodyguard flashlight and separate head (the complete v.2 flashlight comes with a 18650 body).

Bodyguard v.1 flashlight

v.1 head only

Bodyguard v.2 flashlight

v.2 head only

The main difference between the v.1 and v.2 heads is operating voltage. The v.1 is rated for 3.0 volts to 6.0 volts. On a single CR123A lithium battery, the v.1 is rated at 450 lumens, 600 lumens with a single 16340 Li-ion cell and 900 lumens on two CR123A batteries. The v.2 head is rated for 3.4 volts to 6 volts, producing 1000 lumens on either a single Li-ion cell or two CR123A batteries. Comparing the v.1 head on two CR123A batteries to the v.2 head on a single Li-ion cell yields identical results (900 to 1000 lumens). The v.2 head will operate on a single CR123A battery but only produce about half the output at 3.0 volts vs. the v.1 head.

Since I use Li-ion cells almost exclusively (4.2 volts fresh off the charger), I purchased the v.2 head to run on the v.1 body. It provides full output (1000 lumens) on a single 16340 Li-ion cell, which makes the little light a real pocket rocket. Runtime is limited to about 15 minutes at full output, but for defensive flash-'n-dash use I find that more than adequate. You can Lego this light using the v.2 head and the 1-CR123 shroudless body.

A lot of photon firepower is a very compact and easy-to-carry package!
    A lot of flashlight lingo sounds like Spanish but I think I’m tracking. Are you saying it’s 1000 lumens from a single 16340 cell?!
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Are you saying it’s 1000 lumens from a single 16340 cell?!
    Yes. ;-)

User Tag List