Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: NEW! Malkoff Bodyguard

Site Supporter
    Saw an announcement on another forum that Surefire is releasing new versions of their E2D. After considering that light and comparing it to the Bodyguard v2, I ordered the Malkoff light with the shrouded tailcap. With the extended bezel, shrouded tailcap, the absence of crenelations,and absence of “Defender” or “Tactical” printed right on the light, the Malkoff light makes a better E2D than the E2D ever did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    My Bodyguard v2 arrived yesterday. I am impressed.

Upon taking the light out of the package and installing an 18650, the light initially did not work. Replacing the 18650 with two CR123 enabled the light to work fine. A call to Gene Malkoff produced some over-the-hone diagnosis, which eventually led to removal of an O-ring that was positioned inside the threaded portion of the head to cushion the cells. The O-ring works fine with 18650 cells with a priminent button top, but not with a less prominent button top (the cells I had) or a flat top. Both ends of the battery compartment include springs even without the O-ring, so the cell is still better protected than it would be in many lights. If you run into that issue, try the same.

The light produces a very bright, useful beam. Comparing the beam outdoors at night to a Klarus XT2C with a similar rating (1100 lumens), the Malkoff light was definitely more useful. I am not sure how much of this was pure lumens and how much was the specific wavelengths of light in the beam, but across a big athletic field, I could see what I illuminated more clearly with the Malkoff light.

The fully shrouded switch is nice. It is really difficult to unintentionally click the light to constant on when monentary on is desired. Additionally, wtih the fully shrouded switch, extended bezel, and nicely ribbed body, this light is a perfect Kubotan/Yawara/pocket stick type impact weapon. The absence of crenelations or any wording on the light such as "Defender" or "Tactical" really helps the discretion with which the potential improvised impact weapon can be carried, without diminishing its effectiveness in that role in any way. Gene told me that other martial artists have expressed similar opinions.

Many other lights include crenelations around the bezel, but fail to provide much if any protection around the switch. So, one end of the light is essentially useless for striking, and the other end will cause nasty-looking surface lacerations that might be difficult to explain from a legal standpoint but which are unlikely to contribute much to stopping an attack. The Malkoff design is much more useful.

The user interface is perfect for its intended purpose. I will always get high when I need high. If I am using the lgiht for some mundane purpose, the light will switch to lower output to preserve battery life after 10 seconds. If I am using the light for that long, my use probably makes a lower mode more appropriate. This system also prevents someone from stupidly running the light on high for 10 minutes after you let them use the light.

The pocket clip is very well designed, and fastened to the body with screws.

The light is a good fit for a Custom Carry Concepts Basic Light Pouch with a 1" diameter, when carried head down. One inch diameter is one of the standard sizes for this pouch. Not needing a custom size simplifies obtaining one of these excellent Kydex pouches.

Gene and his wife were very pleasant to deal with.

Just ordered a Bodyguard single cell.
    NH Shooter, you're killing my slush fund. lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

This might deserve it’s own thread, but I will just leave this here. I’ve known Gene, the owner of Malkoff Devices, since before he started the company. He lives a few hours away from me. I would call him a close acquaintance and a friend; but not a close friend.

I recently approached him with the “opportunity” to contribute a light to an auction my church is having for building fund. (Our 55 year old roof is literally about to fall in on our heads.) Without any hesitation Gene sends me *three* lights for auction. He asked nothing in return.

Gene really does make quality lights. I know from talking with him that he cares about that. As important, he is also a stand-up guy. Just wanted to put this out there. I’m sure he would be a little embarrassed to read this and might even fuss at me a little for posting this. All I can say to Gene is, “Bring it!” 😜

BG2 head, MDC 123 shroudless body, 16340’s, and extra McClicky inbound.

I’m going to try the momentary-only mod.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Anyone have any ideas on how to subdue the shiny appearance of the Malkoff clip? I got a fair amount of unwanted attention from a panicked ticket taker at a sporting event last night, and it made me aware of how much that clip stands out again a pair of jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by CR78 View Post
    Anyone have any ideas on how to subdue the shiny appearance of the Malkoff clip?
    I might try some heat shrink tube.

Yet another product idea for Gene: DLC treated pocket clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    BG2 head, MDC 123 shroudless body, 16340’s, and extra McClicky inbound.

I’m going to try the momentary-only mod.
    This light is amazing. On high it’s brighter than my M61 HOT.

I need to figure out a finger ring attachment, but otherwise, I’m very impressed.

Did Malkoff release a new Bodyguard? Lumens are 800 and 600 now. It was 600 and 450 before wasn't it? I'm trying to put together something with a hi/low and noticed it says 800 now

CR123 (3 volts) ------ 600 lumens Momentary, 400 lumens 10 sec., 175 lumens

IMR 16340 ------ 800 lumens Momentary, 700 lumens 10 sec., 200 lumens

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 02-18-2019 at 05:59 PM.

User Tag List