Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Your Most Perishable Skill?

Speed.

Site Supporter
    I'd be interested to know what skill you lose most profoundly when you change guns.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

For me it is grip strength, or more precisely, remembering to grip hard.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I'd be interested to know what skill you lose most profoundly when you change guns.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    With a brand new gun it is index on the draw that gives me the most problems. Otherwise it’s a just .10ths here and there until I get more time on the gun. Switching back to a platform I have had lots of quality time on is less problematic.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Trigger control and getting the grip I want with the gun in the holster.

Dry practice fixes both.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Accuracy at distance.

Trigger control, accuracy at distance, accuracy at short range, watching the front sight instead of the target, basically everything. I need weekly live and dry fire to stay decent, which is Hambo decent, not Gabe White decent.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Probably trigger control followed by gripping hard enough. If I take some time off I don’t grip hard enough with my support hand. After a while I’ll start gripping too hard and I’ll have to consciously back myself off.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I would say my visual focus at speed is the first thing to go. Everything else kind of descends into chaos from there. But then I have never developed a high level of skill in that area, so it is pretty fragile to begin with.

Double action revolver. It takes me about 18 shots to really get back in the groove (for my values of groove). I try to shoot two steel challenge matches a month with revolver. I've taken to dry firing a bit at a safe table before my first stage. It improves my first stage scores noticeably.

Site Supporter
    Speed (with acceptable accuracy), but only because it takes the worst "cumulative" hit of slow draw, bad grip, bad index, poor visual focus, bad trigger control, more likely to flinch, and less follow-through.

I have to slow down and really concentrate on the fundamentals.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 06-27-2018 at 09:40 AM.

User Tag List