Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Lovell/Warrior Poets Society

I've never trained with WPS or Lovell.

I find a tremendous amount of value in some of his videos. Not necessarily a ton of technical or tactical information that I haven't heard elsewhere, but rather lifestyle stuff. I think the way he presents information in a way that relates to the average person is awesome. And I like the way he emphasizes kind of an overall lifestyle as oppose to only the "Warrior" stuff. The "poet" stuff seems to balance the dichotomy pretty well. He dovetails defense into everyday life in way that I think few others do. He balances out the technical aspects of guns/gear/defense with the lifestyle aspects of love your family/enjoy your life/ pursue what matters.

It's also nice to see a fellow Christian with similar interests. He puts out enough content that if you aren't Christian, you can simply skip a video you feel doesn't apply to you. If you're Christian or spirituality does appeal to you then it's one more piece to the lifestyle side of the equation.

The fact that he has does videos with some seriously powerhouse names in the training industry lead me to think that he can't be totally off on all of the tactical / technique stuff either. He also has some time as a Ranger that lends credibility to the stuff he says on tactics. I mostly ignore his prep/survival videos because that doesn't interest me as much, and because I don't know enough or have enough of a barometer on the topic to suss out the content's quality level.

-Cory

To add to what Sideshooter was saying I believe he an SN did a few videos on YT. There was mention of some collaborative stuff between the two in the future. If SN likes him he’s probably pretty squared away. Some of his stuff seems quite good. I’d probably take a class from him as other have mentioned though he seems to fill up his classes rather quickly.

Late to the party...

Really appreciate this discussion guys. I know I am coming into the topic a little late, but like the original poster, I have been seeing a bunch of content from WPS on YT and wanted to do a little research on John Lovell/WPS before accepting the content. I have watched a bunch of other videos and read some great blog/whitepapers on similar topics and it seems like John is aligned with and even collaborates with some respected names in what he is putting out. You can see that the quality of WPS content has improved over time on YT from a production quality standpoint and the message he has put out has remained consistent:

- good foundation firearms knowledge that average people can digest
    - interesting information on EDC and preparation to go with the idea of being a defender of the community
    - points of view that are thoughtful. Even if I don't agree with his stance on each topic, I appreciate that he has the courage to put it out there and have the conversations with people and tackle topics that are sensitive. I feel like he is a person who wouldn't shut down just because you might disagree.
    - pretty good reviews that tie the product to his overall home defense / community / EDC preparedness focus

So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Apparently no one cares what I think since the thoughtful blog post seems to have gone the way of the dodo and been replaced by YouTube clips (or worse, the IG pic of a gun and quote).
    BigD I am like you and don't always like to sit through an entire video. One trick I really like to do is leverage the "Open Transcript" feature in YT (bottom right of the video, click the three dots). I open the transcript and read it quickly since I can read much faster than the video plays and get the idea of the content. If it seems compelling, I usually watch the video to see if there were any visuals that helped the presentation.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion all. Excited to have found this forum.

Welcome aboard, @JohnnyL

I own this joint, holler if you need something.
    #RESIST

I own this joint, holler if you need something.
    Bartender, I need a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyL View Post

BigD I am like you and don't always like to sit through an entire video. One trick I really like to do is leverage the "Open Transcript" feature in YT (bottom right of the video, click the three dots). I open the transcript and read it quickly since I can read much faster than the video plays and get the idea of the content. If it seems compelling, I usually watch the video to see if there were any visuals that helped the presentation.
    Along those lines, I can't remember the last time I watched a *gun* vid on YT at anything less than 1.25 speed—and I typically do 1.5x playback. The only exception I can think of in recent memory was almost certainly something with Craig in it. Maybe Chris Baker or Gun Jesus/Ian; those guys are typically polished up too.

You can always slow it back down—even to .75 speed—when the ‘tuber stops talking and starts demonstrating.

If you’ve ever thought to yourself "who on earth needs 12 minutes to demonstrate Glock lubrication points or removing the bolt from Ruger 77 series rifles" or "who TF thinks that 13-20 minutes is a ‘quick’ review of a CRKT Provoke..." then the 1.5x playback speed (or skipping it altogether) is for you.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

a SINGLE beer? lightweight.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    Bartender, I need a beer.
    Dark Russia please. In a pitcher.

Site Supporter
    He did a podcast with Kyle Lamb on Viking Tactics. My opinion was he had a strong personality and I thought he was alright. He seems like a polarizing personality as in you’ll figure out how you feel about him in short order.

He does seem to have a background that would qualify him for what he’s teaching.

That’s about all I know about him - I just don’t really watch a lot of his content.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I don't sponsor very many gun related channels or people, PF and Forgotten Weapons are the two I give money to, but I'll gladly pay $80 a year for WPSN, and it looks like @SouthNarc is a part of it as well.

User Tag List