Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John Lovell/Warrior Poets Society

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Thoughts?
    I have never met the man. All I've done is watch some YouTube videos. That said, I have actually thought about what I've seen and the opinions I've formed from the videos are:

I like that he has a sense of humor and is not one of those guys who feel the need to prove to everyone what bad asses they are. I *really* like the more down to earth attitude John Lovell has in his videos. He seems like a genuinely nice person.

That said, some of the things in his videos seem to me to be a little... off. Not necessarily the shooting stuff, but for example I did not like the recommendations and information in his video about water purification. This is of course from my local perspective, so that might be a factor. Part of the issue might be that the guy pumps out a lot of videos to keep up his social media presence, so a lot of the stuff is more entertainment or edutainment.

It also seems to me that the more you are unlike him, the less he has to offer to you as a teacher - he knows what works for him, but if that doesn't work for you, I'm not sure how well he can help you. He doesn't seem to have that width of knowledge really good and experienced teachers seem to have. That of course might change as he develops as an instructor.

In short, I'd love to meet the guy. I'm not so sure if I had the opportunity that I'd pay money to train with him though. Depends on what options I'd have, of course.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

He seems like a cool guy, I've watched a few of his videos. No desire to take any of his courses.

In my case, I don’t care for the video blog (vlog) format. I know it’s easier to turn on the iPhone camera and crank out a video in literally five minutes than it is to spend an hour writing a thoughtful article or blog piece.

I don’t have time to sit and watch videos. And a well written article will convey more info in a shorter amount of time than an (often rambling) video. Or I can skim an article quickly and see if it’s worth reading. Can’t do that with a YT video. Often the click bait titles are no use in determining the context.

Obviously there’s a need for videos for shooting instruction. But is you are going to wax philosophical, I prefer to read it instead of watch it

I've taken three classes from him, when he was teaching via Telluric Group. They offered classes during weeknights which I was able to attend since I work weekends.

The guy in the videos is the guy you meet, pretty much.

The quality of the courses/instruction: pretty basic Pistol stuff (which is what I needed at the time).

If you think Jordan Peterson speaks to your soul and you are into guns, Lovell is probably a good match for you.

I stopped following him on social media because after a while it becomes a bit much for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who thinks this gent is kinda over the top.
    I know exactly where you are coming from.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otaku.edc View Post

If you think Jordan Peterson speaks to your soul and you are into guns, Lovell is probably a good match for you.
    That is a good description and probably why he caught my ear.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    In my case, I don’t care for the video blog (vlog) format. I know it’s easier to turn on the iPhone camera and crank out a video in literally five minutes than it is to spend an hour writing a thoughtful article or blog piece.

I don’t have time to sit and watch videos. And a well written article will convey more info in a shorter amount of time than an (often rambling) video. Or I can skim an article quickly and see if it’s worth reading. Can’t do that with a YT video. Often the click bait titles are no use in determining the context.

Obviously there’s a need for videos for shooting instruction. But is you are going to wax philosophical, I prefer to read it instead of watch it
    I thought I’d bump my old post. Apparently no one cares what I think since the thoughtful blog post seems to have gone the way of the dodo and been replaced by YouTube clips (or worse, the IG pic of a gun and quote).

Having said that, I recently watched a couple of good videos with the Warrior Poet (Lowell) and Craig Douglas. Probably the best video on retention shooting on the net. Credit to Craig, but also credit to Lowell for allowing himself to be the student.

Not all of the topics of Lowell’s videos interest me, but the ones that do seem thoughtful and intelligent.

I probably wouldn’t take a class solely for the fact that a guy that popular online is going to attract a different type of student. I could be way off, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of first time students take his class. Not his fault amd those folks have to start somewhere, but my guess is the class can’t progress too fast. Just a hunch. I could be wrong.

Anyway, I like the guy and feel like my previous post needed revising.
    Last edited by BigD; 09-06-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I thought I’d bump my old post. Apparently no one cares what I think since the thoughtful blog post seems to have gone the way of the dodo and been replaced by YouTube clips (or worse, the IG pic of a gun and quote).

Having said that, I recently watched a couple of good videos with the Warrior Poet (Lowell) and Craig Douglas. Probably the best video on retention shooting on the net. Credit to Craig, but also credit to Lowell for allowing himself to be the student.

Not all of the topics of Lowell’s videos interest me, but the ones that do seem thoughtful and intelligent.

I probably wouldn’t take a class solely for the fact that a guy that popular online is going to attract a different type of student. I could be way off, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of first time students take his class. Not his fault amd those folks have to start somewhere, but my guess is the class can’t progress too fast. Just a hunch. I could be wrong.

Anyway, I like the guy and feel like my previous post needed revising.
    There’s many thoughtful blog posts out there! The best just aren’t heavily publicized...because good info finds its way to the right folks if they’re looking for it.

I’d much rather read than watch, but Lovell does put out good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im subscribed. But I find myself hitting up the Jocko podcasts more than anything else.

I like the stuff I’ve seen by Lovell/WPS. And the stuff he’s filmed with Craig is golden. His vid/stance on ARs and suppressors strikes me as all kinds of retarded, but in all, I enjoy his video output a lot. I’d love to hang out with him and talk shop.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List