Thread: FTF and offset primer hit - what is going on here?

FTF and offset primer hit - what is going on here?

I'd like advice on this situation with a Browning BDM, the 90s wunder nine that never got very far. It is an excellent pistol that has developed a failure to fire, then fires on with a second hammer blow. The shells demonstrate an oddly offset hit on the primer once it does fire.

I am assuming this is the result of a tired recoil spring not bringing the slide back into complete battery - do you think this is true? New springs are incoming from Wolff as the first step in correcting this problem and I am hoping nothing else is going on.

Name:  87bb5d6f.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  54.4 KB

There is a good chance the new recoil spring will correct the issue as you said.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Is the pistol fully in battery when this occurs? Like the above said, a new recoil spring might lock it up aggressively enough to prevent this from happening.

This is normally the result of the barrel being fit incorrectly.
    Bob Hostetter

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hostetter View Post
    This is normally the result of the barrel being fit incorrectly.
    That would be a good explanation, but the pistol operated flawlessly for some time before this started happening.

I found some original factory springs (there seems to be only once source for parts for this pistol) and will try them before going to the aftermarket.

User Tag List