Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs advice on a PCC 9mm

Newbie needs advice on a PCC 9mm

Had an opportunity to shoot a few at the range recently and I think I may have the bug. Just loads of fun. Shot the scorpion and the HK UMP 45. Been thinking about these for a while. Would likely be a fun range toy but since I have started to get into competition, may jump into that down the road. That said, I like the sbr around the 8" length, which probably wouldn't be great for competition. I'll just say it now, I just love the "cool" factor of the short barrel pistol. but open to suggestions.

In doing the internet search, there are tons of options out there, but again I am a newbie to this so don't assume I know a lot about these. In doing the usual internet thing, it seems like the scorpion certainly is popular but I have gravitated to the CMMG guard, MPX, and the wilson AR9. Yeah I know, pretty broad smf kind of expensive. I am not opposed to spending the money if it's worth it. I do like glock compatibility but not a must. Clearly spending the money I would want reliability first and foremost. One of the reasons the Wilson AR9 is in the mix, so it seems by reviews. I figure high quality I can grow into with experience. If this is nutty, say so. Is there one PCC I could grow into, or should I start at the lower end and upgrade as I become experienced in these. The smart move financially would probably be the way to go but you know what they say about a fool and his money.

So what would be a good choice, and why? The purpose would be fun, potentially have something to compete with, (mainly for the fun of it as well) open to any suggestions to get started on this route. Again, money isn't the main driver if it's worth the cash. thx for taking the time to comment.

If you don’t have a specific preference for exact components, want to shoot USPSA PCC, and have about $1,500, either:

1) get a Sig MPX, which shoots factory ammo softly, but has some warts in durability and function with certain specimens. (Also a competition model has been announced)

2) get a JP GMR 13/15, which is the most common factory carbine I see in USPSA competition. Another good option is the Nordic Components, which Patrick Kelley favorably reviewed. You will want to use lower PF reloads to maximize performance with a blow back.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

For a budget of 1500 i would look at the ghm 9 by B&T.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

MPX or Scorpion Evo. I have the latter, love it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    MPX or Scorpion Evo. I have the latter, love it.
    I think the Evo works well if you leave it basically stock with standard capacity magazines. In USPSA, the higher capacity mags seems to have fleas, and a number of folks have had trouble trying to work the triggers and perform other customization.

Has the MPX proven to be reliable? Thought I heard it had issues but that could have been another sig.

Also, what is a good optic to run on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Has the MPX proven to be reliable? Thought I heard it had issues but that could have been another sig.

Also, what is a good optic to run on it?
    Yes and no. I shot 1,200 rounds thru mine at a recent TPC carbine class without a stoppage. Buddy had a stoppage with his at a big match back in May. I have another MPX that needs to go back for reliability issues. Seems to vary by individual gun. Plus, the gas system requires frequent cleaning for top performance. Brian Nelson, a top 3 gun shooter, cleans his gas system each night of a major match, and that necessitates removing the barrel.

A bunch of friends run a Trijicon MRO on the MPX, as do I.

Any advice on gaming uppers for a Colt-mag-based 9mm AR lower? My current upper is effectively integrally suppressed which I understand they won’t let me use.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    effectively integrally suppressed which I understand they won’t let me use.
    I think that's mainly due to shot timers having a tough time with picking up shots from suppressed guns. Hard to give you a legitimate score that way.

Site Supporter
    I SBR'd a SIG MPX pistol. Only mods are adding a SIG MPX/MCX folding stock, C-More red dot, and a replacement 4.5 inch barrel so I can use a TiRant 9 suppressor. My MPX is a Gen 2 and I have had no issues with mine with the 8 inch barrel unsuppressed or the 4.5 inch barrel suppressed. It has eaten every kind of cheap steel case I have on hand plus my 124 or 147 grain reloads.

However, before the MPX, I bought a cheap PSA 16" 9mm AR kit (everything minus the lower receiver - uses the Colt style mag) that served me well at a very cheap price.

User Tag List