Thread: Drills to shoot on steel

Drills to shoot on steel

I picked up a Defense Targets Ready Ship Target for 15% off during their Fathers Day Sale. I took it to the range today and realized I don’t know too many drills to shoot on steel. I saw one drill recently either here or on Instagram (Lane Drill?) where you draw and shoot one at 50y, run to 25y and shoot one, run to 15y and shoot two, back to 25y for one and back to 50y for one more. I ran that four or five times today and had a lot of fun. I’m also a fan of the SIG Academy Blaze X drill.

Does anyone have and good drills that preferably involve some movement like those I listed? I prefer to do more static, stand and deliver kind of shooting with paper targets and would like to run some more dynamic stuff with the steel. I know Pat MacNamara posts all sorts of cool ones on his Instagram. Maybe I should start bringing a kettlebell to the range lol.

Also, I totally misjudged the angle the spall would be diverted to and poked a nice little hole in my can of spray paint, sending white paint everywhere. If this happens to you, remember that there is still some pressure in the can even after the paint stops spraying everywhere. This is important to know for when you pick the can up which causes more paint to spray all over your Salomons.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I picked one of those targets up a couple months back and came to the same conclusion. I have the hostage target model. The last couple range sessions I have done some mini stages with the steel and a cardboard target. I’ll start at the 10 yd line and draw to the hostage target and fire until I hit it. Then I’ll run a certain distance to the right or left and engage the cardboard with x # of rounds and then finish of by transitioning back to the steel and shooting while moving.

I think if you bring a second target the possibilities are endless.

I also find bill drills ridiculously fun to run at 10 Yards on steel.

Hopefully others will chime in.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Shooting steel is great on a rainy day, saves time by eliminating taping every day, and provides instant feedback to the shooter. It can also interfere with your shot calling, because you may start relying on the noise rather than watching your sights lift. If your steel is relatively small, like the eight inch plates we use, it can force all A zone hits.

I like to intersperse steel and paper targets in my arrays.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Steve Anderson “Call It and Leave It” Drill - basically moving back and forth, 1 shot on steel, call it good, leave and move to the other position and repeat. Make up called misses imediately.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It can also interfere with your shot calling, because you may start relying on the noise rather than watching your sights lift.
    Very much this. I shoot quite a bit of steel, especially in mixed arrays, but spending too much time with them can definitely hinder visual development in folks learning how to shot call.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Very much this. I shoot quite a bit of steel, especially in mixed arrays, but spending too much time with them can definitely hinder visual development in folks learning how to shot call.
    Same. I've got three 12" plates, it's tons of fun and easy to push yourself to go faster and faster; if you're not careful you can get sloppy on accuracy since you just have to hit the plate somewhere. I run Bill Drills, El- and Vice Presidentes, and make up my own. You can even run a variation of the FAST if you spray paint a 3x5 rectangle on the middle. As always, shooting steel under 10 yds is not recommended so these drills just got a little tougher, and wear your eye pro.

It's good for new shooters, kids love it because they might be disheartened that their groups look like crap on a paper target, but the steel is a "good shot" as long as it rings. And if they get cocky, you can rip off doubletaps and let 'em know who the big dog is. pingpingpingpingpingping

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If your steel is relatively small, like the eight inch plates we use, it can force all A zone hits.
    I have a portable rack I rigged up with the conduit stand from www.shootsteel.com with 5 8" plates hanging from 5' of conduit. It is a hoot, but I can catch myself ripping through them and subconsciously thinking "I got this..." and taking an extra 3-4 shots to hit the last one...

User Tag List