Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your preferred .357 carry load for 4" guns?

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    @03RN Let us know how they test out for you.
    Will do

FWIW, below is a link to places that have the .357 mag 145 gr Silvertip load in stock.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/357-magnum...gun-145grains-

The Remington LHPSWC 38 spl. gives about identical expansion and penetration as the Winchester 145 sthp in 4 inch guns... something to consider. From some of my 3 inch 357s though the LHP 38 load only does about 800 fps (same as 2 inch 38s) so I don't use it in the 3 inch 357s

I have the LHP load in one of my 4 inch 357 Ruger SS revolvers.

It was a little complicated, but I loaded 124gr. 9mm GD bullets in 357 cases to duplicate the Speer 9mm load and it shoots very well from my 357 Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 bbl.

I own a 1.0 FS M&P .40 (4.25" barrel) in which I keep a factory .357 SIG barrel in it at all times. My EDC rd. in it is 125 gr. PDX1 ammo.

The second handgun I owned was a Ruger Security-Six with a six inch barrel. I got it about 1980. I tried all the common loads back then...110gr., 125gr and the 158s. After all these years, I've come to settle on the Remington 125gr. Golden Sabre load in this caliber, especially in 4in or less barrels. The flash, blast and recoil are all very manageable compared to the regular 125gr. loads but still have a good amount of oomph to them.

I know that it’s so old school as to almost be gauche, but anymore all I carry in any wheelgun chambered in .38/.357 is 148 grain wadcutters. They meet the most important criteria for a carry load in a wheelgun - they shoot to the fixed sights on most guns.

They’re also easy to shoot well, and have sufficient penetration to reach vital organs. The only thing they’re not really great at is shooting through auto glass, but I reckon if I’m shooting my LCR through someone’s windshield I’m having a really stupid day.

Site Supporter
    The 125 grain barnes tac tx seems to be the winner for me. In my fixed sight guns they shoot to POA and they were the most accurate out of my guns in shooting groups.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I know that it’s so old school as to almost be gauche, but anymore all I carry in any wheelgun chambered in .38/.357 is 148 grain wadcutters. They meet the most important criteria for a carry load in a wheelgun - they shoot to the fixed sights on most guns.

They’re also easy to shoot well, and have sufficient penetration to reach vital organs. The only thing they’re not really great at is shooting through auto glass, but I reckon if I’m shooting my LCR through someone’s windshield I’m having a really stupid day.
    [musing aloud] Wonder if the copper-plated versions do any better through intermediate barriers... [/musing aloud, because I don't know, myself]

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    [musing aloud] Wonder if the copper-plated versions do any better through intermediate barriers... [/musing aloud, because I don't know, myself]
    Unless they're bonded, I'm guessing they act like any other plated/jacketed round and shed the jacket almost immediately in an intermediate barrier.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The only thing they’re not really great at is shooting through auto glass, but I reckon if I’m shooting my LCR through someone’s windshield I’m having a really stupid day.
    It's easy to think of scenarios that would require me to shoot through my own windshield or side windows.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List