Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: American Rifleman .357 Magnum Tests

American Rifleman .357 Magnum Tests

Nine loads tested:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...mag-cartridge/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

And this is why I roll my eyes at people that insist that .357 Magnum from a snubbie is more better than .38 Special +P. .357 loads aren’t designed for snubbies and you’re going to have an easier and faster time placing your shots with .38 Spcl.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    And this is why I roll my eyes at people that insist that .357 Magnum from a snubbie is more better than .38 Special +P. .357 loads aren’t designed for snubbies and you’re going to have an easier and faster time placing your shots with .38 Spcl.

Yeah. I assume a common misconception is that felt recoil equals terminal performance.

Given modern ammunition performance, the .357 Magnum is really obsolete if you think about it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Given modern ammunition performance, the .357 Magnum is really obsolete if you think about it.
    That's a good point. The two best performers, the Barnes/GBW 125gr and the Hornady 135gr, are both similar to 9mm +P from a 4in auto.

Given modern bullet construction, isn’t .38 Special +P just the revolver equivalent to 9mm in 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Generally yes. What if you prefer penetration to be on the higher side and also rate barrier penetration highly? Doesn't the .357 maintain superiority over the .38 in that case?

On the thread, about if the .40 is obsolete I was impressed (as always) by KhanRad's comments about his experience shooting up cars.
    Last edited by JHC; 07-27-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Given modern bullet construction, isn’t .38 Special +P just the revolver equivalent to 9mm in 2018?
    Still not quite there. At least not from a snub.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ial-cartridge/

The best bet is likely to be some type of modern JHP bullet in the 125-ish grain range running at 1,200-ish FPS in a .357 Mag. Something that basically duplicates 9mm 4in barrel performance but from a small package. That shouldn't be a hard problem to solve from the .357 but it probably can't be done with .38 at current SAAMI levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Still not quite there. At least not from a snub.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ial-cartridge/

The best bet is likely to be some type of modern JHP bullet in the 125-ish grain range running at 1,200-ish FPS in a .357 Mag. Something that basically duplicates 9mm 4in barrel performance but from a small package. That shouldn't be a hard problem to solve from the .357 but it probably can't be done with .38 at current SAAMI levels.
    I’m guessing bullet construction probably needs to be tweaked a bit for .38 Special, especially in a snub, to bring it up to speed to what 9mm can do. I can’t imagine it would be THAT difficult. The demand would need to be there for it though.

The demand would need to be there for it though.

That's it exactly.

User Tag List