Thread: Ruger LCP recoil spring weight.

Site Supporter

Ruger LCP recoil spring weight.

The Ruger LCP is my pocket gun and my gun for when I need to be super discrete. The two examples I have experience with have been reliable and accurate. It's crazy how the two I have used have worked dirty, more dry than the should be, and abused.

The only thing I don't like is the recoil combined with the trigger. The trigger is great for pocket carry, but even in .380 it gets old shooting after a while.

Have any of you tried changing the recoil spring weight in the LCP? What were the results? Right now I just use the factory recoil spring.

Are there any other changes any of you like to make?

Does the original LCP have a firing pin block?

Site Supporter
    Replacing original spring with a Wolff 13 lb spring brings about immediate improvement. Perceived recoil is much less. The heavier spring reduces slide velocity. I think it increases time of barrel to slide lock up. This opinion is based on how dramatically recoil impulse is tamed. I put the 13 lb spring in my two LCP's and my KelTec 380. I put about 1300 rds through all with zero malfunction using various factory ammo. The heavier spring tames Buffalo Bore +P, which is very accurate in the three pistols above. I can't take credit for thinking of replacing the spring. The guy at Galloway Precision proposed it years ago. I bought his stanless steel guide rod to use with the spring. I almost never recommend replacing factory springs in handguns. In this example I loudly sing praises of the 13 lb spring.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Replacing original spring with a Wolff 13 lb spring brings about immediate improvement. Perceived recoil is much less. The heavier spring reduces slide velocity. I think it increases time of barrel to slide lock up. This opinion is based on how dramatically recoil impulse is tamed. I put the 13 lb spring in my two LCP's and my KelTec 380. I put about 1300 rds through all with zero malfunction using various factory ammo. The heavier spring tames Buffalo Bore +P, which is very accurate in the three pistols above. I can't take credit for thinking of replacing the spring. The guy at Galloway Precision proposed it years ago. I bought his stanless steel guide rod to use with the spring. I almost never recommend replacing factory springs in handguns. In this example I loudly sing praises of the 13 lb spring.
    Thanks, think I'll order some this week.

I carry 380 Underwood/Lehigh 90gr XP in my Ruger LCP 1 gen 2. It’s a fairly hot round: 1023 fps. Cases fly about 5 yds even with 13# Wolff springs. The OEM springs are too light.

Also, I strongly recommend using a Tandemkross anti-walk takedown pin.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

The factory spring weight is 9 lbs. That's a bit soft with some loads, but it ensures reliability with the lower powered ammo or the shooter has less than a perfect grip. I use an 11 lb spring in mine but I've vetted it well with my ammo. My guns will function OK with heavier springs (12 & 13 lbs) but a passive grip with the weak hand invites malfunctions with absolutely nothing gained in return.

If you experience a take-down pin that "walks", make sure you've got the latest iteration. It was improved upon some time back with a groove cut in the pin to aid in holding the leg on the retention spring.

Old Style on TOP
    New Style on BOTTOM

Last edited by 41magfan; 06-24-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Ruger LCP recoil spring weight.

I just checked and I am actually using the 11lb Wolf recoil springs. I agree with @41magfan that there is no need to go stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I carry 380 Underwood/Lehigh 90gr XP in my Ruger LCP 1 gen 2. It’s a fairly hot round: 1023 fps. Cases fly about 5 yds even with 13# Wolff springs. The OEM springs are too light.

Also, I strongly recommend using a Tandemkross anti-walk takedown pin.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-24-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    How does the 11# spring work with a less than perfect grip?

I'll order some more take down pins too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How does the 11# spring work with a less than perfect grip?

I'll order some more take down pins too.
    Really well. My tiny 99lb daughter can shoot it WHO without problems, and she can’t do that with a Glock 19.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Really well. My tiny 99lb daughter can shoot it WHO without problems, and she can’t do that with a Glock 19.
    Thanks. I'll be ordering this stuff tonight. Who knew buying LCP springs could be fun and interesting.

I run a Wolff 13lb. spring in my LCP. It fixed all reliability problems I was having with the gun. I also suggest a stainless guide rod. The factory guide rod in my gun was very soft and was starting peen pretty bad.
    10-8

User Tag List