Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 Fragmentation Effect Range

5.56 Fragmentation Effect Range

I was reading that M855 62 gr 5.56 ammo will fragment upon hitting flesh out to 125m from a 20 inch barrel, but only 85 yards from a 14.5 inch barrel. Fragmentation is one of the main wounding characteristics of the 5.56 cartridge.

I have two questions:

1) How much of a difference does fragmentation make for overall effect on target? Basically, if a target hit at 50 yards and full fragmentation is full performance, how much different would the effect on the same target be at 300 with no fragmentation?

2) I see that M193 55 gr bullets add 5 yards or so to the fragmentation effect distance (130m from a 20 inch barrel, and 90 yards from a 14.5 inch barrel). What are the effective ranges for other bullets types and weights? I see that Hornady TAP is highly regarded. How about 45 grain bullets?

Fragmentation is not one of the primary wounding characteristics of most 5.56/.223 LE or defensive loads. A lot of the good ammo is bonded and expected to remain intact, retain weight, expand and yaw when hitting the body even after penetrating an intermediate barrier.

M855/M193 are not recommended defensive loads.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I was reading that M855 62 gr 5.56 ammo will fragment upon hitting flesh out to 125m from a 20 inch barrel, but only 85 yards from a 14.5 inch barrel. Fragmentation is one of the main wounding characteristics of the 5.56 cartridge.

I have two questions:

1) How much of a difference does fragmentation make for overall effect on target? Basically, if a target hit at 50 yards and full fragmentation is full performance, how much different would the effect on the same target be at 300 with no fragmentation?

2) I see that M193 55 gr bullets add 5 yards or so to the fragmentation effect distance (130m from a 20 inch barrel, and 90 yards from a 14.5 inch barrel). What are the effective ranges for other bullets types and weights? I see that Hornady TAP is highly regarded. How about 45 grain bullets?
    DanM is correct.

In practical terms, you need a 20” barrel to maintain the necessary velocity for fragmentation, yet the U.S. military has standardized on 14.5” and 16” barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Fragmentation is not one of the primary wounding characteristics of most 5.56/.223 LE or defensive loads. A lot of the good ammo is bonded and expected to remain intact, retain weight, expand and yaw when hitting the body even after penetrating an intermediate barrier.

M855/M193 are not recommended defensive loads.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    @DanM is spot on. Outside of military use, you want to find a bonded bullet that will expand on contact and penetrate the minimum 12" through any intermediate barrier. Too many of that rounds that fragment don't meet this minimum through tougher intermediate barriers.

Site Supporter

I have two questions:

Military ball ammo in 5.56: at 300 yards, it is poking a hole. If you’re lucky, it will yaw and make a bigger, more tearing kind of hole. If you’re not, the wound will likely resemble stabbing someone with your gramma’s knitting needle. IOW, it will take a few of them to have the effect you need in a fight. 5.56 DMR rifles don’t use standard ball rounds. I’m interested to try some of the MK262.

My 5.56 carbine is loaded with 64gr Ranger soft points. I don’t kid myself that it is magically turned into a 500 yard deer rifle by using those, but they are more likely to be consistently good performers at defense-range civilian engagements.

I have always understood the effect to be the bullet yawing in flesh and it was velocity dependent. With enough velocity, the bullet may break in two at the cannelure and thus fragment somewhat.

From my imperfect memory I think it was above 2900 fps in a 55gr FMJBT. I'm not sure what happens in other bullet weights. This Wiki article mentions failure to yaw below 2500 fps for M855 with standard 62 gr. lead core bullets with steel penetrator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56%C3%9745mm_NATO

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I have two questions:

Have you already read the M193 sticky at the top of the first page in this sub-forum?

Time and again we find every single shot is a unique case. There are many variables in real world use.

Velocity is not the sole determinant. Fragmentation effect, along with a lot of the other terminal "effects", depend heavily upon individual factors, e.g. Angle of Attack. Also remember that the M193 bullet is a cheap, mass-produced projectile not known for manufacturing consistency. There is no 100% guarantee of fragmentation effect.

What is your intended use?

Thanks to each of you for the replies.

The reason I asked is that, for patrol use, my agency issues Federal Green Tip 62 grain ammo. I think this is M855 equivalent? For the few shootings we've had with it, it works. We're running 16 inch barreled carbines, but only for a small subset of officers. We're in the process of changing to a bonded round, and I was just wondering how the envelope changes.

Basically, for premium, bonded core rounds, how far out will they expand reliably, as a rule of thumb?
    @DanM @HCM @Gio Thank you for clarifying the wounding mechanism of premium rounds. I hadn't put that together, though it makes sense.
    @schüler Thanks for the pointer. I hadn't seen that.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    My 5.56 carbine is loaded with 64gr Ranger soft points. I don’t kid myself that it is magically turned into a 500 yard deer rifle by using those, but they are more likely to be consistently good performers at defense-range civilian engagements.
    FYI, if the Ranger is RA223R2 or similar PowerPoint non-bonded then it doesn't do well through some barriers. The rep advised 5% projectile weight retention through auto glass.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    FYI, if the Ranger is RA223R2 or similar PowerPoint non-bonded then it doesn't do well through some barriers. The rep advised 5% projectile weight retention through auto glass.
    5%?! Wow. Well, actually, that’s exactly what it is - a CBP friend gave me 3 or 4 boxes a few years ago.

I am not carrying it around, I’m just an OEF/OIF vet who keeps an AR around because it seems weird not to have one. I’ll stick with this stuff until I get my hands on something else.

User Tag List