Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian gun handling

You know the gun forum mythology..... The Russians and the Israelis are so much better at war and firearms proficiency than us. Never mind our country being at war for over a decade.
    #RESIST

I'm not selling my 9mm Glocks just yet...

Soviet / Russian handguns have just never impressed me much.

It's interesting to note that a Russian LE agency made a purchase of Gen 3 Glock 17's in 2010.

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  60.0 KB

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    At 1.04 during the muzzle view of the pistol it looks like the front sight is WAY misaligned in its dovetail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    At 1.04 during the muzzle view of the pistol it looks like the front sight is WAY misaligned in its dovetail.
    That explains why they were missing way left trying to hit the ninja idiot at the end.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You know the gun forum mythology..... The Russians and the Israelis are so much better at war and firearms proficiency than us. Never mind our country being at war for over a decade.
    Anyone who throws hatchets during backflips has obviously got the finer points of modern warfare down pat.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not sure that being at war for a long time necessarily has that much to do with being better at war or with firearms proficiency. Putting aside the idea of who is best at what, isn't length of war usually more a matter of political terms than who is a better fighter, especially these days? Or am I missing something in the mix?
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    You should have seen my Gen4 Glock's rear sight ... both of them!

The drill which was demonstrated in the last 15 seconds of the video is a standard drill in the one particular unit. The main purpose of that unit is HRT operations, that is why on a certain part of the training instructors demonstrating this kind of drills. Also, it is the way to knock people off the square range mentality and defeat "I can't draw my weapon because there are people downrange". Instead of this you have to draw you weapon but make everything possible not to sweep anybody else but the threat, that includes muzzle aversion positions, changing angles and much more.
    When I was a SO in the competition in this unit, I NEVER saw a finger on the trigger, no negligent discharges (considering the fact that more than a 100 people fired more than 200 rounds each with Aks and handguns in just a few hours). I felt way safer than on an IPSC level 3 competition, because the safety (4 rules and it's application) is the skill, you have to train it just as every other aspect of shooting, and that's what they do in the unit.

Talking about the pistol... It will never replace the glock in international market, doubt it will be successful, doubt it will be in the market at all. But now guys are stock with glocks, which have one critical issue - they are not designed and made in Russia, so the politicians have a tough time accepting this fact.

Sorry for my English.
    Last edited by machak_silver; 02-18-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    “You see, the barrel lifts. Here in our pistol the barrel always remains parallel. This allows the pistol to have a high degree of “vizfors” (I have no idea what technical term he is referring too—it was muffled).
    He said это позволяет пистолету иметь очень большой ресурс, last word being a "resource" in English. In parlance of our times, he is trying to say that pistol has good capabilities because of this feature.

When I had to shoot my pistol qual during a boot camp training in 1991, the pistol course was three rounds at 25 meters, one handed (bullseye stance) from a Mak. We had three fam-fire rounds, and then three for a score at an IDPA sized target. From that prospective, seeing a dude holding a pistol with an iso grip looks like a quantum leap to me.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    He said это позволяет пистолету иметь очень большой ресурс, last word being a "resource" in English. In parlance of our times, he is trying to say that pistol has good capabilities because of this feature.

When I had to shoot my pistol qual during a boot camp training in 1991, the pistol course was three rounds at 25 meters, one handed (bullseye stance) from a Mak. We had three fam-fire rounds, and then three for a score at an IDPA sized target. From that prospective, seeing a dude holding a pistol with an iso grip looks like a quantum leap to me.
    Absolutely! Good marksmanship training of simple conscripts aside (six rounds - amazing), one of the obvious disadvantages of an unarmed citizenry is that there is no civilian competitive community that can develop new techniques. The thought of a man like Cooper who fathered the "modern technique" and all the people who followed is simply unimaginable.

Militaries, especially in authoritarian countries are extremely conservative by nature and this is why units like the HSLD ones within the US looked to civilian trainers instead of military trainers to develop their shooting programs. It should not be surprising that other nations lag behind when it comes to small arms skills.

User Tag List