Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian gun handling

I just think it's amazing how many different ways you can skin a cat........you know, make a SFA gun that's either the same or slightly different than the rest....

Glock
    Steyr M/S series (we never hear ANYTHING about these....new P-T.com endurance gun? )
    P99
    M&P
    PPQ
    Caracal
    ect.....

I don't speak Russian, but it looked like he was pretty proud of some features that are pretty standard among guns these days......like mag releases.....and the Browing tilt-barrel locked breech.....and light rails.......Whoop'de doo, Russia. Now you can all stop dressing like it's still the 80's and join the new millennium.....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    .and the Browing tilt-barrel locked breech.....and light rails.......Whoop'de doo, Russia. Now you can all stop dressing like it's still the 80's and join the new millennium.....
    Actually it's a fixed barrel--nothing like the Browning tilt-barrel. The ambi magazine release is still a relatively new feature--ex: latest gen glocks don't have it. Light rails were added to Gen3 in the late 90's. While Russian weapons are generally not pretty--they are generally overbuilt reliable and get the job done. The Russian gun designs of the 90's were as turbulent as it's politics--that saw a number of new designs. For the most part they never saw any use outside of the special forces--thus leaving most to believe that besides the AK, the SKS, and the Makarov--there is nothing going on in the Russian gun industry. While i agree that the Russian gun market is a tiny fraction of what it is in the US (partially due to the lack of the private consumer), the notion that the Russian small arms is completely stagnant and buried under the ruble of the Berlin wall is far from the truth.

On a different note--here is the transcript of what was said during the clip:

"Strij" is a type of bird

"The design was created and designed as a private venture. There are reports that indicate that “Strij” is capable of very “high flight” in the arms market. Maybe it sounds immodest, but a professional shooter Andrey Kerisenko, says “believe me, the Black Strij is our answer to the legendary Glock 17 which is one of the favorites in the special forces of the world.” There they are next to each other, the Russian on the left and the Austrian on the right. Though it seems like they are similar in appearance, in function they are different. One of the ways that it’s different is the way that the slide (they referred to it as the “bolt” but I’m guessing that they mean the slide) operates. “You see, the barrel lifts. Here in our pistol the barrel always remains parallel. This allows the pistol to have a high degree of “vizfors” (I have no idea what technical term he is referring too—it was muffled). Because of that characteristic it’s claimed that there is very little recoil. Another feature that is well received is the lack of the traditional safety. The negligent discharge is prevented by 3 internal safeties. It’s a 9mm caliber, or for those who undersantd—9x19 luger. The magazine holds 17 rounds. The process of loading is also interesting, because traditional pistols have a button, but here we have buttons—1 on each side. “Look how it works. I push a button and right away insert another magazine. This is because there is a flared magwell. “ It’s also possible to compliment “Strij” with a flashlight and also an “assault” magazine for 30 rounds, it’s also possible to lengthen the barrel—converting the pistol into a submachine gun. Even without the upgrade, in trained hands it’s already really fast. Andrey Kirisenko repeated the word “unique” many times, according to him that’s because from the start the designers of the pistol were aided with ex/current members of the special forces. They also made 124 critiques of the first prototype. With that input the 2nd prototype was created. Tens more criticisms later, another prototype was made—Strij 3. But even this prototype is going to get updated. Experts are already noticing the new guy. “At the beginning of its journey it already met all the requirements required of the modern pistols. Whether it will surpass them, through its success on the market, its success in the gov forces—only time will show.” For now, the pistol is being demonstrated to the potential buyers. I hope that the pistol will not be one of a limited production, but instead will be mass produced. For quality, the creator is ready to answer with his head. <this is where they put the target next to his head and shoot it>"

Just re-read what i wrote. TGS, if it came off as me being disrespectful--i apologize as it was not my intent.

Hey, I like the turtle targets. I backed Phil Strader when he suggested that USPSA should switch over to them entirely.

iakdrago, thanks much for the translation.

Fixed barrel huh? Looks like a low bore axis as well. They might be onto something there.

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    Just re-read what i wrote. TGS, if it came off as me being disrespectful--i apologize as it was not my intent.
    Not in the least bit, dude.

Thanks for the translation and pointing out that it's fixed barrel, cause it definitely looked like it was tilting at :43-:48.

If it's a fixed barrel, then what are they using to delay breech opening? Is it a gas-retarded blowback like the P7 or ZVI Kevin?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Banned
    a glock russian knock off comming to a gun store near you

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Not in the least bit, dude.

Thanks for the translation and pointing out that it's fixed barrel, cause it definitely looked like it was tilting at :43-:48.

If it's a fixed barrel, then what are they using to delay breech opening? Is it a gas-retarded blowback like the P7 or ZVI Kevin?
    That was the Glock. It had yellow taped stripes on it. At :40 you see the barrel not move when the slide was racked. I just re-watched it after reading the translation. Very helpful-thanks iakdrago.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

You mean Russia finally made a gun not based on the AK platform? I was about to comment how much like a G17 it was until I realized that was a G17 they were comparing it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    iakdrago, thanks much for the translation.

Fixed barrel huh? Looks like a low bore axis as well. They might be onto something there.
    To me, it looked like the barrel was moving back with the slide for a short distance before unlocking, but it did not appear to tilt. Perhaps a rotating barrel a la the Beretta Storm/Cougar, or a locking block like the P38/Beretta 92?

User Tag List