Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 38 Special Lead Bullet Gel Test

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Yes. It is only two bullets fired into an old gel block. However I'm fairly confident I'm on the right track with this bullet.

I also tried the 145gr LRN HP (actual weight seems to run closer to 150gr) in the gel. With the same charge of Unique I'm getting 850 fps but penetration was short, coming in at about 11 inches.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Sure looks like it! After seeing the pics I had to go look the alloy up. When I saw the 2-2-96 alloy in the earlier post I automatically thought of 2-6-92 that the commercial casters are using these days and it's quite hard. 4% difference in antimony makes a big difference. I used to cast a lot but it's been years since I've messed with it. I have the great Lyman 358156 gas check mold and I might have to break it back out after seeing this!
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 07-01-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by valian View Post
    I think the low velocity of the LHP load is due to your LCR being 357 magnum. It usually runs around 800 out of 2 inch bbls. but a 25 fps drop or a little more is common shooting 38s in 357 length chambers in my experience. Even my 3 inch 357s tend to shoot this load just a hair over 800 fps which is why I don't carry it in those guns. By comparison my 3 inch 38s do closer to 850 with the LHP load
    Good point about 38 vs 357. I will see about trying the Remington load in a dedicated 38 revolver.

I loaded ten more of my 160gr LSWCHP bullets with 5.3gr of Unique. I tried these on paper from my 4" GP100 as well as my LCR.

In the GP the load is running 970 fps. About 100 fps faster than the 2" gun.

I can't do the gel test but I did load some 158 Hornady lead hollow points for my 642 revolver. It kicks like a mule, not fun at all. I crimped the bullets to the max and round number 5 was always pulled part way out. I miked the bullets and found they are .357", need to be .358-.359, nothing I can do about this. I'm trying to save up a few GI cases, they tend to run a tad thicker than commercial, hoping they'll hold. Fun to play with.

I talked to Donnie Miculek (yep, that's his brother) about bullet coatings today. He says there are quite a few people using his product and there's no reason it wouldn't work with a lead HP. Down side is I don't know how far I want to go with all this. I would have to buy the bullets unsized/as cast from GT. Then I'd have to coat them myself and size them afterwards, depending on what they measure. Probably the easiest thing there would be to buy one of the little Lee sizer deals.

Or just buy the coated LSWCHP load from Underwood and see how it does....

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865930481721

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865929203769

I talked to Donnie Miculek (yep, that's his brother) about bullet coatings today. He says there are quite a few people using his product and there's no reason it wouldn't work with a lead HP. Down side is I don't know how far I want to go with all this. I would have to buy the bullets unsized/as cast from GT. Then I'd have to coat them myself and size them afterwards, depending on what they measure. Probably the easiest thing there would be to buy one of the little Lee sizer deals.

I don't see the Hi-Tek coating having any effect after the bullet has left the barrel. For your purposes it's a waste of time. Where it would be nice is if you were loading and shooting a lot of those GT bullets. Much cleaner shooting and most of the smoke is eliminated due to no wax and the lead surface of the bullet being shielded from the burning gas which could be a plus in a defensive scenario. But that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I don't see the Hi-Tek coating having any effect after the bullet has left the barrel. For your purposes it's a waste of time. Where it would be nice is if you were loading and shooting a lot of those GT bullets. Much cleaner shooting and most of the smoke is eliminated due to no wax and the lead surface of the bullet being shielded from the burning gas which could be a plus in a defensive scenario. But that's about it.
    All true. I guess my ultimate plan is to convince GT that they need to sell a coated bullet. However the oven and related equipment might not be something they want to mess with.

10 yards slow fire, S&W 640-1, 2". Shooting the #733 round from Underwood, no noticeable WC smoke, the round had a noticeable recoil over the non-+P but no where near what the #734 HC Keith round felt like. Attachment 28724Attachment 28725

Underwood 38 LHP NOT PLUS P

I fired several different 38 and a couple of 357 rounds from my 2.25in sp101 into a Clear Ballistics Block at 10 feet. Clothing barrier was a layer of 14oz denim, a sweatshirt and then a thick T shirt (Hanes Beefy T). Name:  DSC00085.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  52.6 KB

Penetration was 14.75in and the expansion was .621x.603

This was the gas check version
    Last edited by xcop; 08-06-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xcop View Post
    I fired several different 38 and a couple of 357 rounds from my 2.25in sp101 into a Clear Ballistics Block at 10 feet. Clothing barrier was a layer of 14oz denim, a sweatshirt and then a thick T shirt (Hanes Beefy T). Name:  DSC00085.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  52.6 KB

Penetration was 14.75in and the expansion was .621x.603

This was the gas check version
    What were your velocities?

velocity

What were your velocities?

Cant say .....the dept armorer killed the range chrono on the first shot of some 9mm we were testing
    Last edited by xcop; 08-06-2018 at 01:01 PM.

User Tag List