Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 38 Special Lead Bullet Gel Test

Site Supporter
    That’s a lot faster than the factory ones you tested before. Those look pretty good.

What is the recoiled like with the GT bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That’s a lot faster than the factory ones you tested before. Those look pretty good.
    Yes. It is only two bullets fired into an old gel block. However I'm fairly confident I'm on the right track with this bullet.

I also tried the 145gr LRN HP (actual weight seems to run closer to 150gr) in the gel. With the same charge of Unique I'm getting 850 fps but penetration was short, coming in at about 11 inches.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    What is the recoiled like with the GT bullets.
    Well, at 850 fps, the recoil is certainly more noticeable than the 148gr wadcutter or the 158gr LSWCHP factory load. But it still isn't bad and shouldn't be a problem. Certainly not like shooting 357 Magnum in the little gun.

I was thinking it would be a little stout. I was surprised the other day shooting a few +p loads I had been carrying for too long. I had gotten spoiled by my 3.0-3.5 BE under 158 LSWC I had been shooting in my 60. They were not bad just a reminder that if for no other reason I need to rotate my carry ammo far more often.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I was thinking it would be a little stout. I was surprised the other day shooting a few +p loads I had been carrying for too long. I had gotten spoiled by my 3.0-3.5 BE under 158 LSWC I had been shooting in my 60. They were not bad just a reminder that if for no other reason I need to rotate my carry ammo far more often.
    Yeah, shooting Speer 135gr+P out of my 13oz M&P was downright painful. After a couple of shots, any additional shots were more jerked and groupings opened up quite a bit.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Quote Originally Posted by KhanRad View Post
    Yeah, shooting Speer 135gr+P out of my 13oz M&P was downright painful. After a couple of shots, any additional shots were more jerked and groupings opened up quite a bit.
    I don't think my LCR is bad at all unless I'm shooting straight up full power mags. Maybe the little spongy section of the factory grip helps?

Any issues loading the GT bullet? I noticed that sometimes soft hollow points will deform when seating.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Any issues loading the GT bullet? I noticed that sometimes soft hollow points will deform when seating.
    Not that I noticed.

I think the low velocity of the LHP load is due to your LCR being 357 magnum. It usually runs around 800 out of 2 inch bbls. but a 25 fps drop or a little more is common shooting 38s in 357 length chambers in my experience. Even my 3 inch 357s tend to shoot this load just a hair over 800 fps which is why I don't carry it in those guns. By comparison my 3 inch 38s do closer to 850 with the LHP load

User Tag List