Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle shooting with my neighbor.

Rifle shooting with my neighbor.

So...……… a few days ago my neighbor hits me up about shooting some rifles. This requires a longer trip down to my agencies outdoor range, but I'm on vacay and I have several handgun loads I need to test with my chronograph so I says, "why not?"

Now, you have to understand, he's the most competitive person I've ever met, to the extreme. He can turn watching grass grow into a competition. So, when it comes to guns he's a biggest gun in the woods type. Consequently, when we're loading the stuff up into my vehicle I ask, "What've we got this morning?" An AR, a Mini-14, a .308 and...……………………………

…………...a .416 Rigby. Saints preserve us. $120.00 for a box of 20, 400 grain copper solid rounds. I'm long past the time in my life where I think it's fun to shoot those things. However, since I've never shot one of those and it's free, I couldn't refuse. We both shot it twice and I don't think I'll ever need a third. I pulled the trigger first and my neighbors reaction was, "My God." I agree.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I once had Ruger #3 in .45-70. I think the rifle weighed about six pounds.

Ouch....

When I was practicing for my hunt with my .458 Lott, I would use very light handloads. With full power loads, 20 shots and I was done for the day.

I have three .416 Rigby rifles and have shot an elephant, several cape buffalo and some head of plains game with them. Recoil is a few clicks up from a .375 H&H but quite a bit less than a .458 Lott.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

PS, shooting a Rigby from the bench is no fun!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

And just like that, .416 Rigby is no longer a burning question in my life.
    .405 Win out of an 1895 remains though. I think I want to find one to try before purchasing.
    Or, be smart like you neighbor and just observe the first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yep! I’ve never owned a 416, but have shot several. Much more pleasant standing.

I currently own a 470 NE and a 375 H&H, neither are fun to shoot off a bench, but love banging steel with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    …………...a .416 Rigby. Saints preserve us. $120.00 for a box of 20, 400 grain copper solid rounds. I'm long past the time in my life where I think it's fun to shoot those things. However, since I've never shot one of those and it's free, I couldn't refuse. We both shot it twice and I don't think I'll ever need a third. I pulled the trigger first and my neighbors reaction was, "My God." I agree.
    That hurts the shoulder, head, and wallet. My cost per box reloading is under $25 using a 350 gr Speer bullet.

My wife has commented that my Rigby makes a very different type of noise than my other rifles. My guess is because it is burning twice as much powder as a 30-06.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I once had Ruger #3 in .45-70. I think the rifle weighed about six pounds.

Ouch....
    I have the No. 1-S in 45-70. It's heavier than a No. 3, but not much. My gun with the stupid hard Ruger factory recoil pad was no fun with mid-level (Marlin 1895) loads. Installing a 1" Decelerator completely changed the gun. I can imagine the pain from the steel butt plate on a No. 3. I'm assuming that's why that gun is in your "had" column.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    When I was practicing for my hunt with my .458 Lott, I would use very light handloads. With full power loads, 20 shots and I was done for the day.
    With full power Rigby I try to limit my sessions to 7-10 rounds. I did 18 once and had splitting headaches for a couple days after. I suppose a person could acclimate themselves to that recoil, but I wonder at the cost to your brain.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I shot my Ruger 77 Rigby from the bench twice. Both rounds the scope brushed my eyebrow. I've not done that since. On a good day, I can hit a 4" circle at 100 yards shooting offhand. Close enough for me. Scope is a Leupold VX-III 1.75-6, mounted as far forward as possible. Maybe my posture/technique is lacking?

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    Yep! I’ve never owned a 416, but have shot several. Much more pleasant standing.

I currently own a 470 NE and a 375 H&H, neither are fun to shoot off a bench, but love banging steel with them!
    For a limited number of rounds, the results of the bigger guns are amusing and gratifying. I still dream of Africa, but my big guns are closer to toys than serious hunting rifles. I plan on using either the No. 1 in 45-70 with a hot 300 grain X bullet or the 77 in Rigby with a fast 300 grain X bullet for deer this coming season. Just because I can.

My friend asked if I was going to shoot it off the bench, or prone. I said, "Are you crazy?" I shot standing. Years ago I shot a .375 H&H and .458 Win. Mag, etc. on a regular basis and have the arthritis in my right shoulder to prove it. These days, I'll shoot those things if it's the necessary tool for the task, or if someone offers it up for free of course.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-23-2018 at 09:12 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post

For a limited number of rounds, the results of the bigger guns are amusing and gratifying. I still dream of Africa, but my big guns are closer to toys than serious hunting rifles. I plan on using either the No. 1 in 45-70 with a hot 300 grain X bullet or the 77 in Rigby with a fast 300 grain X bullet for deer this coming season. Just because I can.
    I’ve had a fascination with 375 since I was about 11yrs old. At 11, I read my first African Safari hunting book on a backpacking trip in Montana...I was hooked.

I’ve been using the 375 for deer and hogs for quite sometime..it’s over kill, but with the right handloads it’s a lot of fun. I have a trip to Tanzania 09/19, and I’ll be taking both rifles. The 470 is more for nostalgia than practicality, but I’ve wanted to shoot a Cape Buffalo with one since I acquired it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List