Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rifle shooting with my neighbor.

Site Supporter
    Awesome pictures and stories!

In years past, I spent entire afternoons emptying 440 round tins of 7.62x54R out of Mosin carbines with bare steel buttplates with me in nothing but a T-shirt. Which is to say, I'm not particularly recoil sensitive.

My Father has a Zastava Mauser-based .458 Lott and I have fired that thing exactly once. It made an an incredibly authoritative CLANG! on a steel gong hanging at 200yd, though.
    Hornady ammo was around $6 a round, if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    I’ve had a fascination with 375 since I was about 11yrs old. At 11, I read my first African Safari hunting book on a backpacking trip in Montana...I was hooked.

I’ve been using the 375 for deer and hogs for quite sometime..it’s over kill, but with the right handloads it’s a lot of fun. I have a trip to Tanzania 09/19, and I’ll be taking both rifles. The 470 is more for nostalgia than practicality, but I’ve wanted to shoot a Cape Buffalo with one since I acquired it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What load you using for deer. Thinking about using my 375 for deer this year

Quote Originally Posted by butler coach View Post
    What load you using for deer. Thinking about using my 375 for deer this year

I’ve used Nosler 270 grain partition, Hornady 250 GMX, and Barnes 270 TSX.

All will work well, if i do my part, and in my experience does less damage than my .270 Win.

Usually, the exit wound is around a 1/2”.

I generally have several jugs of H4350 due to shooting a lot of 6.5 Creed, so it has been my go to for 375 H&H as of late. It’s a little slow compared to other powders, but it’s easier on the shoulder.

Back in the day I had a Ruger No. 1 in .375 H&H, that one was one of my faves.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I have always been more recoil tolerant with handguns than rifles, probably from holding handheld striking pads during martial arts classes. After reading stories about gun writers with detached retinas from shooting heavy recoiling long guns, Rex G’s posts about his hands, and GJM’s field pistol thread, I have little desire to shoot anything with heavy recoil. I can do everything I need to do with less discomfort and less potential damage.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I've always been stupid so my recoil tolerance is pretty high, but .416 anything is pretty stiff. Too many Aagard and Seyfried stories make me want a rifle in the .375-.416-.458 range but the truth is I wouldn't do anything but beat myself up with it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I've always been stupid so my recoil tolerance is pretty high, but .416 anything is pretty stiff. Too many Aagard and Seyfried stories make me want a rifle in the .375-.416-.458 range but the truth is I wouldn't do anything but beat myself up with it.
    That's why, these days, the biggest rifle caliber in my safe is .30-06.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Haha! My life story!

I find my 375 and 470 much more tolerable than any of the modern magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    That's why, these days, the biggest rifle caliber in my safe is .30-06.
    6.5 Creed has been my go to for anything I hunt in the lower 48 for the past several years (no bears). I generally bring my 270 as a backup, it would have to be my favorite all around hunting rifle.

User Tag List