Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI; chest vs upright freezer

We just replaced our old chest freezer with an upright. We got tired of standing on our heads looking for stuff buried in the bottom. And stuff will get buried and forgotten.

Upright is much handier.

Site Supporter
    Chest, with a solid fifo system for the milk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My parents have an upright in their detached garage. They left home for a few days and returned to find their freezer open. They suspect the dog. All food was a total loss (more than one entire deer).

I have a chest and found the door up approximately five days after my wife told my five year old daughter she could go to our garage and get a popsicle by herself. I threw out three or four items from the top of the freezer.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pangloss; 06-23-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    I also freeze bottles of water in my freezer. We use the small water bottles - keep a bunch frozen for trips to the boat (or range). Great source of "ice" for the cooler.

We had a freezer in the garage when we lived in Plano TX. Made the summer pilgrimage to Georgia to see parents and when we got back a week later the freezer was "off" and we had a lot of bad food and a really big mess. Thunderstorm or such tripped the breaker.

Chest freezer is more energy efficient. Use plastic Target baskets to keep things organized. Either way, keep it topped off with 16 oz or sport sized water bottles. It acts as a thermal battery in the event of a power failure, and cold water is yummy.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    We have a 20 cu ft upright and a 15 cu ft chest, both get disorganized and hard to find stuff. The baskets are key for the chest freezer.

Ideally, I would have 2 25 cu ft chest freezers but the space doesn’t work, chest freezers work fine in a laundry room or garage, uprights in the kitchen - more room for work space and you can get them in a style that doesn’t look 1960.

It's a lot of work to put a dead body in an upright freezer. Just sayin.

I'd get the chest freezer. Gravity is free and will help keep the lid shut.

Also freeze a small cup of water, then put a penny on top. If your freezer thaws for any reason, the penny will sink to the bottom. Even if it refreezes you will know. I cut the power to the garage to replace a garage door opener, and left it off for about a week while waiting to get parts and waiting to get off my ass and get things done. Never even thought about the freezer. I got an unpleasant surprise of rotten food that had refrozen and appeared to be ok.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I've owned both types and prefer the uprights. If the upright is only twice the price of a chest, it is still worth it. You have to defrost the chest, to do this you have to empty the freezer. You also have to dig deep in the chest to find what you are looking for. The upright is frost free, has a light in it, you can find what you want. I'm on the second upright and will buy a third if I live that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    I've owned both types and prefer the uprights. If the upright is only twice the price of a chest, it is still worth it. You have to defrost the chest, to do this you have to empty the freezer. You also have to dig deep in the chest to find what you are looking for. The upright is frost free, has a light in it, you can find what you want. I'm on the second upright and will buy a third if I live that long.
    My upright isn't frost free. It has about six years worth of frost, not having been defrosted since Hurricane Sandy killed my power for eight days. The shelves have about half their capacity. Right now I've only got about 20 pounds of coffee in it, but some things are frozen into the ice.

Ended up with a upright, wife concerned with organization.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

User Tag List