Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith and WessonM&P in 45...your thoughts?

45M&P's are the best of the lot...very accurate, reliable.. If the OP dosen't need a NOS gun, I'd consider a police trade in, plenty of life left in them, and, they're priced right..

As far as price goes, just check around online to see what they are selling for. Then you can tell if your price is good or not. I have the full-size M&P 45 as well as the compact M&P 45, both the 1.0 version. I like them both and have had no problems with either. My default mode when handling a new pistol is how does it feel in the hand....and the 1911 Government model is the pistol I judge all others by. That Government model just fits me to a "T". The full-size M&P 45 runs close behind the 1911 for that "ahhh" moment when I handled the M&P for the first time.

Now for personal preference. I like the full-size frame better because it has a beaver-tail built into the rear of the frame. For me, this helps anchor the pistol in my hand, the web between the thumb and index finger. My compact model does not have this feature and I really miss it on the compact model. Because the 2.0 does not have this beaver-tail, I don't feel the need to rush out and buy one. Anyway, I like the M&P.

Site Supporter
    I have always been a 9mm M&P guy - how would the M&P 45 handle the more powerful loads for a "woods/field pistol" like the thread GJM had?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have always been a 9mm M&P guy - how would the M&P 45 handle the more powerful loads for a "woods/field pistol" like the thread GJM had?
    If you wanted to turn an M&P45 into a “bear country” pistol, you’d probably be best off with making sure the Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator loads will feed in it. There’s a good chance it will.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    By the time the ammo was bought to test it a HK USP45 could be paid for. I like a proven answer. YMMV.

Site Supporter
    I had a gen 1 but soon sold it. It was too big for anything other than range or house. Mine had point of aim problems, mag spring problems, and mediocre accuracy. Trigger was not good. My lgs has the 2.0 versions. Trigger is much better. There are other differences. My vote is buy the newer one. I suggest the compact. Paying $300 for a 1.0 version means that it would have a trade value of $175. Hence the market places low value on them. There's a reason that Smith improved these guns.
    Last edited by willie; 06-24-2018 at 02:37 AM.

Site Supporter
    2.0 45s can be had for $420 or so. I have one that is incredible. The trigger changes alone make it a much better value than the 1.0. I’d put the 2.0 right up there with the hk45c as my favorite plastic 45s.

Site Supporter
    I normally shoot 45 in my 1911s with 185 grain Bayou coated bullets - does the M&P 45 handle SWC reliably for practice? Thanks

Site Supporter
    Mine did. OAL may determine feeding these.

Both of my M&P45s (1.0) are tack drivers. However, I have had to repeatedly change the magazine springs due to catastrophic failures. As such, I have never carried them.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List