Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P30/L question

Quote Originally Posted by zart312 View Post
    My neighbor had a 30sk but it just doesn’t fit my hand. It’s a shame cuz I really do like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    understood. I shoot my P2000SK with my pinkie under the mag base plate, and run the flush plate as well. I'm going to assume you're not anywhere near by, otherwise I'd offer to let you shoot some of my "collection" to help make your decision.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My opinion expressed in that thread doesn't reflect the opinion that I hold now . Which is that I failed to find any advantage that 30L might have over 30, and I could run 30 at faster splits easier. I would take 30 over 30L in general, and for carry reasons totally and without a discussion. If there any corroboration to that, the only full framed Glock that I care about now is the 19x, which is Glock's version of P30.
    Mine is not a popular opinion. When this was polled on HKPRO, the split was 3:1 in favor of 30L, although many base their opinion on aesthetics...

P.S. Even if renting of both was an option, I'd not recommend testing one against another. I owned both and it took me days of testing and matches and classes to eventually come to my conclusion, that later changed
    Well that makes it clear as mud. 🤦🏻*♂️ seriously though I appreciate reading the opinions even if they change from before. I’ve read some on hkpro but for advise I prefer to pick the brains of this forum even though there are people who post on both.

I figure either one is a solid choice. I plan on using an AIWB holster made for the L length either way. I just wasn’t sure if one would handle single handed shooting better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    understood. I shoot my P2000SK with my pinkie under the mag base plate, and run the flush plate as well. I'm going to assume you're not anywhere near by, otherwise I'd offer to let you shoot some of my "collection" to help make your decision.
    Really appreciate the offer but it’d be a heck of a drive from Northwest Indiana out to NJ.

"Honey! I'm going to NJ! I'll be back in a couple days!"
    "WHAT FOR!?!?!"
    "Pizza and guns."
    "..."
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    P30l ~= G17
    P30 ~= G19X
    Yup.

Best, Jon

I thinking that for single-hand shooting, the shorter P30 might be a bit easier-but it's worth experimentation (and to get a general feel, substitution can work to a degree; i.e., comparing a Glock G19/G19X with a G17, etc.

I'm thinking with a kiddo at hand, you're realistically looking a close-in, very quick shots in likely defensive scenarios that I think of. You're not assaulting Hill 101, you're protecting your kid/family from immediate harm. While I like my P30L, I do just as well with my VP40, which has a shorter slide analogous to what you're comparing (but the P30's barrel length is still a bit shorter than that of the VP's- P30: 3.85"; P30L: 4.45; VP: 4.09). Personally, I prefer the balance and potential for perhaps a bit more ease in accuracy for distance shooting that the P30L provides-but that's me.

Given the OP's situation, I really don't think that it'll make much of a difference between choosing a P30 vs a P30L-just choose the one you prefer/feel most comfortable with/shoot the best with. Given the OP's definition of his situation/operational parameters, I lean towards recommending a P30 for him.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-23-2018 at 01:19 PM.

For me, the P30 does nothing. Of the three "duty" sized hammer-fired HKs (P30L, P30, and P2000) I LOVE the balance and shootability of the P30L, but the portability of the P2000. The P30, for me, is neither fish nor fowl.

As many others have mentioned, if you're thinking about operating a pistol in a defensive situation with one hand tied up with a child, I think the ability to conceal the pistol from your KID(S) will be a priority. I think a bunch of us have found that toddlers get into/grab onto all kinds of stuff - so a smaller, more "access controllable" pistol like a P30sk or P2000sk might be the right balance.

if "access controllable" is the issue, size of firearm is irrelevant as retention is the important factor.

If you are primarily concerned with one-handed shooting, I suggest this:

Find a gun with boxy grips, and one with ergonomic grips that you can test. The HK grips on the P30/VP are similar enough to a Walther if one is available. Figure out which grip style is easier for you to control one-handed.

Then get a P30 or a P2000 based on that knowledge. I prefer either of these shorter muzzled guns for strictly one-handed work because they clear a holster a bit easier than the L. I have no issues controlling either single handed, but the full sized grip of the P30 is better for my size L hands. Other people definitely have a control advantage on the more square gripped pistols, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The P30l to me shoots softer, but I could not say it shoots faster. For the wife though the difference was noticeable in favor of p30l. I like the p30 because it is a little more concealable and shoots flat and fast.

Quick range time today.

User Tag List