Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P30/L question

Quote Originally Posted by zart312 View Post
    . I just wasn’t sure if one would handle single handed shooting better than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't make a bit of difference for one handed. I have a tiny bit of ideas about it, having shot my P30 at Rogers for a couple of days.
    The cycling speed advantage of P30 won't matter as much since you're slowed down by virtue of being one handed. There is not that much weight difference between the two to matter one way or another.

Something that you didn't ask at all but I would prefer LEM for one handed stuff, especially defensive, while I'd take DA/SA for primarily two handed shooting. Now, I already told you that my opinions are usually in the minority so take if FWIW
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Lots of useful/good suggestions in here and I really appreciate it. Never occurred to me to find different makes of the same size guns and see how that compares. Let alone the boxy grip to the more rounded grip to see which I’m able to control better. From reading everything here I’m getting the feeling that for what I need it for it just won’t matter if I get the 30 or 30L. While I have no dreams of being decked out like I’m some ninja team 6 hero when taking my family out, I just want the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

Something that you didn't ask at all but I would prefer LEM for one handed stuff, especially defensive, while I'd take DA/SA for primarily two handed shooting. Now, I already told you that my opinions are usually in the minority so take if FWIW
    So I’m curious why that is. I’ve read the threads talking about the virtues of the LEM. I could see not having to decock while I’m also handling a child as an advantage.

P30 DA remains to be desired and working it one handed induces more tension and is slower than working much lighter LEM one handed. For the defensive use and importance of a first quick hit this might matter.
    P30 SA action is OK and is easier to shoot fast than LEM but, again, with one handed shooting you're slowed more by not having a support hand on than by action properties.
    I agree somewhat on not having to decock LEM as an advantage although P30's ingenious decocker location makes it a lesser issue.

In spite of having carried and shot P30, P30L 9mm LEM for 3+ years, I find that the boxier USPs are easier to grip securely particularly 1 handed. L / XL hands.

Only problem with the USP is the need to run a GG&G picatinny adapter if you are running an X400. This complicates holster selection a lot.

I am Looking at possibly changing to a Match / LEM hybrid USP.

I too don't see any real difference for your stated situation. However I personally will take added sight radius every day of the week.

I don't have a way to test this, but my hypothesis would be for single handed shooting, having a little less weight/mass on the front of the gun would make it easier to draw, move, and track your target in a dynamic situation, so I'd lean towards the 30. I could be wrong though, that happened once or twice before.

Also, in the interest of one handed shooting, I'd lean towards LEM or cocked and locked single action for the gun. I'm not anti TDA, but if I knew I was going to be shooting one handed, I wouldn't want to have to muscle a trigger that much. And it's not just the weight, but the DA travel on the P30 series seems on the long side to me. Something I'd prefer to not deal with one handed.

Very interesting question/topic though, definitely giving me something to think about.

I have fell in love with lem. One handed shooting is easy, no controls or buttons to manipulate either. I was not a fan of the rear decocker anyways. But the lem is smooth and can be shot fast. I am running the tlg setup but with a medium trs now an dit is great. Lite lem is not for me. JodyH said it best in his explanation. Basically the light break is not worth losing the stronger reset and firm pretravel.

I hope you can figure out how to test both. Because I think it will end up a personal decision. There is valid reasons for both. Just find which one fits you best.

This thread is timely for me. Even though I have been dedicated to the 1911 for awhile now, when my 14 month old nephew visits, a new challenge exists. Especially since that little fella is on the move, climbing on, and grabbing at everything now. I have been becoming somewhat concerned that a sao pistol may not be the way to go and i don't like to keep transitioning from one to another.

Site Supporter
    When there is no clear "best" course of action, I always choose whatever is cheaper. Seems to me like a reasonable tie breaker.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

User Tag List