Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Digital Calipers

Site Supporter

RFI - Digital Calipers

Looking for some digital calipers because I am a man and being a man requires tools.

Digital because my eyes are hurting and I’ll be measuring a bunch, quickly. Really trying to dial in my hand sharpening of chainsaw chain and want to file the teeth all the same length so I am going to start measuring each tooth and make my compulsive smile.

Looking to spend less then $100, want something that is quality and last but I am far from a professional user.

I like this one because I worked in bike shops for a decade and Park was the goods:

https://www.parktool.com/product/digital-caliper-dc-1

Thanks

Hammertime

RFI - Digital Calipers

These have served me well.

Neiko 01407A Electronic Digital Caliper Stainless Steel Body with Large LCD Screen | 0-6 Inches | Inch/Fractions/Millimeter Conversion https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GSLKIW..._ikDlBbWKN6SBN

Park makes decent but overpriced tools.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 06-22-2018 at 11:55 PM.

Just a little over $100, but if a man is going to buy tools because being a man requires tools, a man should buy a good tool.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-Adva.../dp/B00WMKUUAQ

I have been using measuring tools professionally for several decades and Mitutoyos makes good quality measuring tools. Take care of them and they'll last a long time. Cheap calipers have rough movement which interferes with consistent measurements. They aren't worth the aggravation.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Just a little over $100, but if a man is going to buy tools because being a man requires tools, a man should buy a good tool.

I have been using measuring tools professionally for several decades and Mitutoyos makes good quality measuring tools. Take care of them and they'll last a long time. Cheap calipers have rough movement which interferes with consistent measurements. They aren't worth the aggravation.
    This. Those Mitutoyos are pretty much the Glock of digi calipers. Not the apex, but better than most need, and it will never let you down unless you abuse it thoroughly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

Mitutoyos are the state of the art for digital calipers

For what you’re doing Mits are fine. If I ever replace my Brown & Sharpe dial calipers I might briefly look at their line, but that’s really just me being snobby. There are some interesting German brands but when I worked for a German precision connector company they used Mits.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Mitutoyos are what I use, both as a scientist and a hobbyist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I like this one because I worked in bike shops for a decade and Park was the goods:

https://www.parktool.com/product/digital-caliper-dc-1
    We had an April thread on digi calipers.

You'll find the Park, Neiko, Hornady, Frankford Arsenal and No Name Specials etc. all appear to be the same exact model with different colors and logos. Do they have differing mechanical specs? Anyone's guess. I think the cheap ones are a good value for convenience and intermittent use. I have had some weird issues with erroneous zero'ing on the no name calipers. I have learned to always double check on known nominal reference such as 1/4" drill bit shaft.

I have a Mitu for reloading. Beware of Mitu fakes. Some even come with fake calibration certs.

I recently passed on a deal for a used Mitu machinist combo square set. On closer inspection I found a sticker "Made in Mexico". Well, I later learned they have a factory there after all.

Site Supporter
    The 6" Mitutoyos are what are sitting on my work bench at home and on my desk at work. We've got some "pool" Starretts at work (like this)too that do alright too.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Site Supporter
    How did I miss the April thread on this?

Bought the ones off the link from Mist Wolf. I spent a little time on the inter webs trying to figure it out and then thought the PF Hive Mind would be much more effective.

Off to hand file more chainsaw chain... I am unsure why I like it this much.

User Tag List