Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 274: Stoplight

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    m&p 2.0c from a DSG orion

Start distance - 7 yards

Final distance cleaned - 14 yards

This is a drill that I've only recently came up with to work on my single handed shooting but I managed a PR today, despite having several yellow runs early on. Previously I had made it to 13 yards though I started at 3 yards on that run. My first run at 15 and I redlighted. For me, I like to start at a known distance within my ability and work back one yard at a time so that I show consistency. I don't want to jump several yards and then score a lucky run just to bump my score. Over time my starting distance will probably grow greater as my final score does, but I want to avoid jumping from 10 to 20 yards but rather build a solid base and earn each yard along the way. Today I used negative taping and replaced the card every few runs just so I could easily keep track of hits etc...
    This is fun and smart. I am thinking I'll build off it with versions that may enlarge the target and add par times of a few seconds per shot. Walk backs are just cool.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I certainly don't have an issue with it.
    Target File has been posted here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post755524

Thanks again for creating this useful drill.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-25-2018 at 05:48 PM.

This was humbling. Took me a lot of shots to do it. I switched rectangles because of the mess of bullet holes and failed out in the next two rounds.
    G19.5
    Started at 5 yards
    9 misses
    Failed out at 9 yards. WHO kicked my ass.

Name:  IMG_0017.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0016.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  31.0 KB

Hammertime

Week 274: Stoplight

This was super fun and I went way farther than expected. I missed, but never twice in a row til 19 yards. I had a lot of misses close in, but once I couldn’t see the target well as it went further put I was able to relax, trust the sight picture and not eye sprint to see if I made the hits.

Started at 5 yards and worked back a yard at a time.

9mm 1911

Last edited by Doc_Glock; 06-26-2018 at 03:16 PM.

I went horizontally because I can’t read, but I was satisfied with 25 yards on the 2nd try.

Glock 26 Gen 4 - stock except for Ameriglo sights

Green at 5-10-15-20
    Yellow at 25
    Green at 25; stopped here to work on j-frame draws from my pocket

The debate between a small .380 or j-frame ended for me when I noticed how much shooting a j-frame helps everything else.

Name:  F8A7E79D-E355-4BB5-B779-8C4B63DF9D37.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  86.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post

The debate between a small .380 or j-frame ended for me when I noticed how much shooting a j-frame helps everything else.
    That’s interesting. I had not considered the benefits associated with a DA revolver. Forgive me as I’m new to shooting, but is that primarily due to the trigger press weight being higher than the 5.5 lb or whatever it is on a stock Glock?

Good shooting btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    That’s interesting. I had not considered the benefits associated with a DA revolver. Forgive me as I’m new to shooting, but is that primarily due to the trigger press weight being higher than the 5.5 lb or whatever it is on a stock Glock?

Good shooting btw.
    Hi Rich,

Yes, that is exactly it. The trigger is easily 10+ lbs. and it’s a tiny gun.

I usually stick to wadcutters for both training and carry when I don’t have a 26.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Hi Rich,

Yes, that is exactly it. The trigger is easily 10+ lbs. and it’s a tiny gun.

I usually stick to wadcutters for both training and carry when I don’t have a 26.
    So, it would be a reasonable argument to my wife that a nice smooth triggered J frame would actually be an excellent training aid?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    So, it would be a reasonable argument to my wife that a nice smooth triggered J frame would actually be an excellent training aid?
    It really is. I’ve been doing all my dry fire with revolvers lately because they’re easier to load and unload, but the trigger is a nice benefit, too.

I absolutely love my 340.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol used: G19.2 / Ameriglo Spartan sights
    Ammo: PPU FMJ 124
    Start distance: 3 yds
    Total number of missed shots : 3
    Ending distance (final score): 14 yds

My range has controllers that allow you to select distance by feet. Ran this by advancing 1 yard after each green light.

Anything you noticed:

• Very worthwhile and revealing drill.
    • 1 yellow at 12 yards on WHO. Red at 15 yards.
    • I was pleasantly surprised. In my wildest dreams I would not have imagined I could hit a 3x5 WHO at this distance. It has to be due to sporadic practice on the wall drill.
    • I do not know the proper stance for one handed shooting. Arm extended or bent? What to do with the support hand that's not supporting? Body straight on or bladed?
    • My recoil control was much better with strong hand. I need to work at strengthening my left side.
    • I wonder if shooting two handed weak hand would develop a stronger grip, better trigger, etc?

Started a second target at 13 yards so these aging eyes could see the POI without retrieving the target.

Props to @Rich_Jenkins for the target and @backtrail540 for the drill. Thank you sirs!

Name:  StopLight.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  71.3 KB

User Tag List