Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainin' in the Rain

Site Supporter
    That's why I conveniently broke my wrist and ribs when I was signed up for an injured shooter course. Haha. Took LFI-1 Stressfire with my dominant wrist still in a removable cast. What a plan.

What is SOP for drying out a pistol after a wet training session?

Field strip and set in front of a fan? Completely detail strip and dry all parts?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post

Field strip and set in front of a fan? Completely detail strip and dry all parts?
    For me it's a complete disassembly.....depending on how soaked it gets.

Or after a high round count class where it's dry.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Why??
    If you stay out in the rain long enough, then your pistol can get soaking wet inside and out.

Might not matter, but I think of it as cheap insurance.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post

Field strip and toss in ultrasonic cleaner with 50/50 Simple Green HD/Water for 10m. Rinse well with tap water. Blow dry with air compressor. Maybe scrape off any remaining carbon deposits with a dental tool. Maybe pop it on a dehydrator or warm a bit with a heat gun to make sure it is good and dry. Re-lubricate. Done.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 06-22-2018 at 09:25 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Rite in the Rain makes targets: Rite in the Rain Targets
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

My polymer guns get thoroughly soaked all summer in AK. I separate the slide and receiver, and leave them in the cabin to dry. Sometimes I accelerate the process by first wiping extra moisture off with paper towel. When mostly dry, I give the exterior a wipe with an oily rag and lubricate the normal interior spots. Except the oily rag, pretty much what I do to myself to dry off when I finish shooting.

Here is a picture from when YVK and I trained with JJ back in February.

Name:  3E1817F7-C848-4F4F-8538-07297211E355.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  103.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by TopShot View Post
    So True !
    Many people do not want to train or take a class when it's pouring or 0 degrees.
    A lot of people have obligations and responsibilities off the range, and it for some it makes little sense to unnecessarily risk getting sick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    A lot of people have obligations and responsibilities off the range, and it for some it makes little sense to unnecessarily risk getting sick.
    You get sick from viruses not being wet or cold.

I think people have given sound reasoning for training in adverse conditions. I really might have to clear a malfunction some day when my hands are freezing cold, sore and wet. I might really have to deal with an attempted car jacking on my way home from a 16 hour shift. I've been to a couple of classes after working such a shift.

I recommend taking a class under conditions like that if for no other reason than the experience. I can honestly say that everything after the Army in my life has been pretty easy
    Last edited by Cypher; 06-23-2018 at 01:20 AM.

I don’t seek out adverse conditions — it has a habit of finding me. If signed up for a class or match, and it is crappy, I continue. Lots of days are hot, cold, rainy or snowy, and I would rather practice in those conditions rather than skip the session. I do chuckle when it gets into the 40’s, and some of the Arizona guys are sitting in the car with the heater running between stages at a winter match.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List