Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainin' in the Rain

There is no doubt the more diverse, undesirable and unexpected conditions we train in the better prepared we will be.

Not to derail this thread but how about not securing all four corners of a paper target? the wind may blow up/down an edge and partially reduce or obscure your target. I have seen people hesitate with just a corner flapping a little bit, even though the intended POI was fully visible. The little things that people don't expect to happen seem to have a major impact on their actions/reactions.

It also interesting how shooting an unfamiliar drill/scenario effects performance.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I mentioned in my other post about the rain at Fort Lewis. I would bet that it rains five months a year in western Washington State and you have to learn how to function in it. It gets colder than hell in Germany in the winter and you have to learn how to function in it. It's the same thing when it comes to carrying a gun. I need to practice manipulating my gun when my fingers are cold and wet and sore. I need to learn how to safely engage Target in the dark. I don't think there's any way to do this but I wish I could train with my dog leash and my dog in one hand in my gun in the other. Cuz I would be willing to bet that at the first shot my dog is going to go crazy.

So yeah I'm in absolute agreement with Mr. Givens we need to train in adverse conditions
    I hunt birds with my Brittany. She won’t like me shooting a pistol with her in that close of a proximity, but I doubt she’ll lose her mind over it: she’s used to a shotgun.
    Last edited by Duelist; 06-22-2018 at 08:14 AM.

An outfit called Targets Online sells paper targets made of thicker stock that's holds up better in the rain than the standard paper targets. At the PD range I keep the required OPOTA RQTs, IALEFI QPs, and the FBI version of the B8 on hand in case of rain. I typically schedule training two months in advance and don't reschedule unless there is lightning.

...I would bet that it rains five months a year in western Washington...
    That's not rain. It's more of a constant precipitation that falls somewhere between a heavy fog and a light drizzle.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I try to train in rain several times a year. Alabama weather is usually compliant with this goal.

I use steel on downpours and in moderate showers, I use paper plates and 3x5 cards. They seem to hold up well to soakings. Last week I trained during a light to moderate shower with the buff colored official NRA 25 yard targets as well as center repair center B8s. I was pleased with how well they seem to hold up to light soakings.

Matter of fact, I had to test two Beretta 92FS models yesterday and re-used the full size target and just slapped a B8 up on it. It had seen some serious rain since the last time I was there and while it was curled at the edges, it served the purpose.

Love training in rain.

I was stationed at Ft. Lewis for 2 and 1/2 years. I don't even notice rain anymore
    Yep. Western Washington summers are (mostly) dry but other 90% of the year it's wet or at least damp. If you don't train in the rain around here, then you don't train at all.

Learning to run a weapon with cold, wet hands and drawing from concealment like what GJM is wearing in that picture is the same everywhere. But our slow, steady, soaking rain has its own set of issues that affect tactics, especially movement. Shooting an IDPA match here in November reveals a whole new problem set. Water and/or buildups of silt and moss make everything slippery when and where you least expect it, even city streets and sidewalks. If you’re not expecting that and you don’t train for it, then you can end up face planting with a loaded pistol in your hand. Our weather also makes a strong case for putting maritime spring cups into your Glocks.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Our weather also makes a strong case for putting maritime spring cups into your Glocks.
    Why??
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I can't remember the vendor but Thunder Ranch used to use targets made out of the same stuff as politician's yardsigns. Works particularly great on turning targets and in the rain. Pasting was easy with that super sticky masking tape that they had. I used to keep some of each in my truck, back when I actually went to the range.

Site Supporter
    I was scheduled to take a carbine course and it was evil weather where I lived. I call the range about 120 miles away as I was leaving at the crack of dawn and it was sunny and shining there. So I drive in downpours. That's because the storm is following me through the rain, through flooded intersections, etc. I get to a small town and there is crap all over the road, twisted sheet metal, etc. That's because a small tornado passed over just before me. On the side of the road, there is a drainage ditch. There is a guy standing by the ditch having a seizure because his pickup is in the flooded ditch and sailing towards a arched concrete culvert which is smaller than his truck. Oops. I continue on to the class. By then it was just annoying rain and it was a good class. The only fun mishap was a guy who brought a Kel-tec SU-16 gun and it cracked in half at the stock where the pistol-ish grip joined the stock. Oops.

On leaving, the dirt road was a bit sketchy. My old front wheel drive 94 Honda Civic made it through the goo. It was good at that. However, the dude in the Mazda Miata had it sink into a big mud trap and we had to rescue it.

My Cabela's waterproof rain jacket served me well. My boots are always waterproof types.

I fully agree always endeavor to train in inclement weather.

For that matter make it a point to train at times when you're sick or feel like crap. Mr. Murphy may strike at the most inopportune time. Good to know how you'll perform in a less than ideal state.

User Tag List