Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trainin' in the Rain

Site Supporter
    My Motto: If it ain't raining, we ain't training.....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don’t seek out adverse conditions — it has a habit of finding me. If signed up for a class or match, and it is crappy, I continue. Lots of days are hot, cold, rainy or snowy, and I would rather practice in those conditions rather than skip the session. I do chuckle when it gets into the 40’s, and some of the Arizona guys are sitting in the car with the heater running between stages at a winter match.
    This. Go to training or matches and deal with it. In my case, crazy heat/humidity/sunshine and being soakign wet with sweat drooling off the brim of my hat. Dodging pop-up thunderstorms. Cold weather - lots of very thin layers and go shoot anyhow. Light rain - OK. Medium+ steady rain, gusting wind that’s tearing up the targets and props? Find something else to do.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

When I was part of my agencies training cadre I was very unsympathetic to the idea of cancelling training due to weather, which is one of the reasons why I'm no longer in training.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I have never thought a bad thing about Tom Givens .... until today. Arrived at match this morning, and despite a great forecast, it was 50’s and raining. Wouldn’t have happened but for Tom’s thread.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    When I go to Texas I am very warmly received, as I break droughts and keep the cattle from dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    When I was part of my agencies training cadre I was very unsympathetic to the idea of cancelling training due to weather, which is one of the reasons why I'm no longer in training.
    Local PD trains and qualifies during adverse conditions such as rain, wind, snow, etc. Will not train if lightening strikes etc. make conditions unsafe.

It rains here sometime every day from May to November. If it's not raining when you show up at the range, it will be 90+ with a heat index of at least 100. You can either shoot in it or skip half a year of training. On the plus side it never snows.
    Last edited by Hambo; 06-26-2018 at 06:01 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Givens strikes again. Despite a decent forecast, arrived at the match this morning to full on rain. A bunch of people bailed, but we used it as an “opportunity.” Conditions improved as the day went on, but early it was lousy.

This was our stage one, and I was pleased to come out cold and shoot in inclement conditions well enough to place first overall in the match on this stage.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    My range is a 45 minute drive away. My trips are determined by "do I have a few hours for training?", not by the weather. If I can make the time I go. If it rains or gets hot, that's life.

Good on you for staying and for kicking ass while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Givens strikes again. Despite a decent forecast, arrived at the match this morning to full on rain. A bunch of people bailed, but we used it as an “opportunity.” Conditions improved as the day went on, but early it was lousy.

This was our stage one, and I was pleased to come out cold and shoot in inclement conditions well enough to place first overall in the match on this stage.

When I saw this video it reminded me of a Tac-rifle class I attended at TDI a couple of years ago.
    Think prone, sitting, and kneeling, then getting up and running then prone, sitting and kneeling. It was just like the video...for two days.
    We'd sit at the campfire in the evening (yeah it would stop raining late in the day) and laugh our asses off at what we were doing. It was great!
    At least the sun did come out the third day for us. Almost disappointing.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

User Tag List