Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toughest Finishes, 2018

I agree. I had a CZ compact(99021) done in black nitride (melenoite, tennifer, same thing) anyway, it turned out great, however as someone pointed out, doing small parts may /may not be a good idea, a few weeks ago I dug the little CZ out and took it to the range, it's stupid accurate to say the least. When I got home and I went to field strip it I found the slide stop had broke, odd, as the gun has a low round count, maybe 1000-1200rds on it. To their credit, CZ promptly replaced the slide stop free of charge, and had a new one to me within a week. The more I think about it, I think that when the slide stop was nitrided, the shaft of the stop became brittle, and since it bears alot of stress when the gun is fired, it snapped.. I also had the saftey levers black itrided as well, but I don't expect any problems there, as these see little use, and aren't under any kind of stress when they are..

I've also had a little experience with Robar as well. I had bought 3 of the PX4 mags that they sell that are already coated in NP3+ . I carry the PX4cc daily, and carry a spare mag as a reload. After about 4-5 months I noticed that the NP3+ was peeling, and rusting..I called Robar, and they asked if I would send them pics, which I did. I called a few minutes after sending the pics, just to make sure they got them, and they were shocked, they told me that it looked like the metal prep wasn't done correctly and the finish peeled and rusted. They then told me to box them up and they'd redo them, and ship back to me, as well as expedite the process. They e- mailed me a recipt when they got my mags, with a completion date of 6/20/18.. On 6/20 they were delivered to my doorstep. The mag that was rusted, pitted, was recoated with NP3+ I assuming that the metal prep was done correctly this time. It has pits from the rust, but it appears that they've been throughly cleaned out, they're smooth to the touch and I'm wearing it right now. I don't expect any more problems.
    Last edited by ralph; 06-23-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Not trying to "thread jack", but does anyone have long term experience with Robar's Poly T2?

I've seen a lot of positive things said about NP3/NP3+, is Poly T2 in that same league? Or is it a fancy/expensive name for Cerakote, Duracote, or Polycoat?

Hard chrome over stainless has done the trick for me.
    Name:  cogan.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  93.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I agree. I had a CZ compact(99021) done in black nitride (melenoite, tennifer, same thing) anyway, it turned out great, however as someone pointed out, doing small parts may /may not be a good idea, a few weeks ago I dug the little CZ out and took it to the range, it's stupid accurate to say the least. When I got home and I went to field strip it I found the slide stop had broke, odd, as the gun has a low round count, maybe 1000-1200rds on it. To their credit, CZ promptly replaced the slide stop free of charge, and had a new one to me within a week. The more I think about it, I think that when the slide stop was nitrided, the shaft of the stop became brittle, and since it bears alot of stress when the gun is fired, it snapped.. I also had the saftey levers black itrided as well, but I don't expect any problems there, as these see little use, and aren't under any kind of stress when they are..
    The temps of the nitride process aren't high enough to change the metallurgical properties of steels and this is a known issue with CZ 75 design. All the guys shooting them in USPSA seriously carry a spare in their range bag. It's not a big deal, just be cognizant of it and keep your eye on it. A little grease in the barrel lug is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    The temps of the nitride process aren't high enough to change the metallurgical properties of steels and this is a known issue with CZ 75 design. All the guys shooting them in USPSA seriously carry a spare in their range bag. It's not a big deal, just be cognizant of it and keep your eye on it. A little grease in the barrel lug is a good idea.
    I was under the impression that the temps invloved with nitriding were higher.. If not, no problem I guess it could've been a bad one..that's ok I have a spare slide stop...

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I was under the impression that the temps invloved with nitriding were higher.. If not, no problem I guess it could've been a bad one..that's ok I have a spare slide stop...
    Nope. AISI 4140 steel has to be hardened and tempered prior to nitride because the temp of hardening and tempering are higher and would just undo the surface layer of the nitride.

The only instance I can think of would be very remote and it's some PH stainless alloys are aged pretty low, say 950 degrees. If you take them higher they will re-age to a lesser hardness but still be in an aged and hardened condition, just less hard. These would never be used in a firearm though due to really high hardness and cost. Most firearms are made out of a 4xx series stainless and the same basic principles of the 4140 chrome-moly apply. It's a cheaper type to buy, easier to machine and generally suitable for guns.

Great responses...thank you!

User Tag List