Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Observation gear?

Good topic, and an often overlooked piece of kit.

While I wouldn't carry on optic on my person in daily out-and-about/at work, I do keep 10x25 binos in the glove box, 8x20s in the "always-bag" that goes with me everywhere, and an 8x25 mono stays in my GP pouch on my 2nd line.

Interesting topic. I’m curious as to the practicality in an urban environment.

I imagine you’re bound to attract some attention if you just whip out your telescope on the sidewalk (phrasing...)
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    @Sidheshooter - where's the writing?
    I should clarify; that wasn’t the specific painting. The Wyeth/Helga artist/model relationship was... obsessive. He did a ton of paintings of her; I just grabbed one that was online. The painting in question was more like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post

I imagine you’re bound to attract some attention if you just whip out your telescope on the sidewalk (phrasing...)
    Yeah if you're walking around glassing people and places with a monocular you're going to be noticed by everyone and chalked down as a massive nerd, at best.

Site Supporter

Observation gear?

Out of habit from my soldiering days, I still keep a small monocular in my travel bag. But so far I’ve mainly used it to play a more advanced version of “I Spy” with my children when out and about but stuck somewhere for a while. I figure it’s good “hip pocket” training for a rainy day, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by nalesq; 06-22-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

Ah, got it: the echo.
    https://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Echo-.../dp/B001MYKQXO
    If you can stomach the color, the blue is only 13 bucks.
    Hey, it's only 13 bucks. It'll be here tomorrow.

I bought one of the Vortex Solo R/Ts probably 6 to 7 years ago when NYOptics had them on sale for under a hundred. I keep it in the door of my g ride for low pro eyeballing. I find using it with one hand gives less of a visual signature than using a pair of binos. If I want to get out and snoop around somewhere, it clips easily to my pocket or fits in a cargo pocket.

It has decently good optics and I like the mil rangefinder. I'm sure the Recon Pro is even better but wasn't around when I bought the Solo.

The little Vortex monoculars are a required piece of patrol gear for me. They are priced right, the glass is decent and the clips are very handy. I like a monocular over binoculars for patrol work because they seem to be easier to use one handed and I can use them more covertly(from a distance it just looks like you are resting your hand on your temple with your elbow rested on the edge of the door)

Site Supporter
    I've got a cheapo pair of Tasco 8x Binoculaurs in my little Maxpedition bag that is with me anytime I hop in the car. They've come in handy a time or two, both times the wife or whoever was around has asked me "Is there anything you don't have in that bag?"

I do like those little Vortex monoculars, I might have to check them out.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

An old coot who used to do sneaky stuff in LA from my old workplace always recommended a smaller monocular for general used backed up by some big honkin' bino's for more overt stuff. He contended that the monocular drew much less attention than binoculars. I think his reasoning was pretty good. I have a celestron 8x25 that has worked well for me for being a < $100. item.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List