Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Observation gear?

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    Interesting topic. I’m curious as to the practicality in an urban environment.
    I used to always have one if I was carrying a bag of any size, as a just in case thing (NYC resident). You have a lot of opportunities to gain elevation and look down straightaways, as well as counter-observation on someone else in those spots. From a long city block away, you'll be able to tell a lot more about that clump of people (what they're wearing, what their signs say, etc.) than unaided. I figured it was peace of mind in case of an emergency (9/11, the blackout in '04, Sandy, I and a lot of folks I know ended up doing more walking than normal). It was also handy when some cute young thing wanted to see fireworks a little better.

It has since moved into the BOB. But for twenty bucks...

I’ve been using a Vortex Solo R/T 8x for the past 5 years on duty...they are awsome.

What is the difference between the Vortex Solo R/T and the significantly more expensive Vortex monoculars?

I currently carry a cheap monocular in my bag. I've mostly used it during my short day hikes. The field of view of my current monocular sucks and without any sort of reticle I find it surprisingly difficult to gauge dimensions in a non-built up environment. I know a place that sells the Solo R/T for quite a nice price, so I'll probably upgrade to that, but now I'm curious as to how much difference there is between the cheap and expensive monoculars.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    What is the difference between the Vortex Solo R/T and the significantly more expensive Vortex monoculars?
    Glass and overall build quality. The RECCE Pro is made in Japan, I believe the lower cost models are from China.

So... How big of a quality / clarity difference are we talking about? Nuances, or a night and day difference? Anyone done any side by side comparison?

IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    So... How big of a quality / clarity difference are we talking about? Nuances, or a night and day difference? Anyone done any side by side comparison?

Can't say for sure as I have not handled either. Maybe the same difference between a Vortex Strike Eagle and the Razor - but that would be 100% speculation.

User Tag List