Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Observation gear?

Observation gear?

Remaining observant (aka situational awareness) is something we all appreciate the value of. It is something that we practice (to various levels) as part of our every day routine, especially while carrying.

While our immediate environment can be observed with the naked eye, I have had times when I wanted a closer look at something further away. It was at these times that I thought a small, hand-help magnified optic that could be carried in a pocket would fill such a need. Since most binoculars are not so easy to EDC, I began to look at monoculars. The one that has captured my attention is the Vortex RECCE Pro, which appears to be high quality, range estimating capable, designed to be carried on a belt or perhaps in a cargo pants pocket.

Does anyone here carry (regularly or occasionally) some kind of observation device, or perhaps just keep one handy in their vehicle?

Name:  mon_recce_32_clip-t.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  44.1 KB

Before I kept a cell phone in my uniform shirt pocket, I kept a small cheap monocular in it. Came in handy a few times but it didn't have the same view as a quality pair of binoculars

I keep an inexpensive pair of folding binoculars in the console safe. It's a holdover from my surveillance days.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Cell phone works for me. New ones have up to 6x zoom plus recording capabilities.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

I use the same monocular that Kieffer used in "24." I only know that because I was once reading some online article about jack bauer gear—being more interested in Sig and Microtech—and they had a link to his kit. The mono was a brunton of some sort, and I think it was maybe 20bucks.

Ah, got it: the echo.

https://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Echo-.../dp/B001MYKQXO

If you can stomach the color, the blue is only 13 bucks.

I was at the Seattle art museum for an Andrew Wyeth retrospective, and I’m using Jack Bauer’s mono to check out the brushwork on Helga. A docent comes by with a security person to see what I’m doing. Meanwhile, I’ve noticed that there is very small writing in the part of her hair. "I’m checking out the letters in the part, right here..." I tell them.

So my wife and I move on. 30 minutes later, we pass back by the same painting, and there are a bunch of suits and people in museum uniforms, and they are all gathered around the painting with a couple of magnifying glasses.

I use an old IOR 10x monocular. It's got the same mil reticle as my 2.5x10 riflescope, so "spotting" and shooting yield the same picture. Also, since I'm blind in one eye, Binos seem like a waste
    @Sidheshooter - where's the writing?
    Last edited by theJanitor; 06-21-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    10x32 Vortex binos. Relatively light and compact for how effective they are. If I’m hiking far, I use these. I’ve used them hunting. If getting serious about looking at small stuff up close, or hunting Coues whitetails, I get out the 15x50 set. I’ll carry either set in the car.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I use the same monocular that Kieffer used in "24." I only know that because I was once reading some online article about jack bauer gear—being more interested in Sig and Microtech—and they had a link to his kit. The mono was a brunton of some sort, and I think it was maybe 20bucks.

Ah, got it: the echo.

https://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Echo-.../dp/B001MYKQXO

If you can stomach the color, the blue is only 13 bucks.

I was at the Seattle art museum for an Andrew Wyeth retrospective, and I’m using Jack Bauer’s mono to check out the brushwork on Helga. A docent comes by with a security person to see what I’m doing. Meanwhile, I’ve noticed that there is very small writing in the part of her hair. "I’m checking out the letters in the part, right here..." I tell them.

So my wife and I move on. 30 minutes later, we pass back by the same painting, and there are a bunch of suits and people in museum uniforms, and they are all gathered around the painting with a couple of magnifying glasses.

I can't see it

I have a no name pair of binoculars in my work backpack. I mostly only ever used them to look for my pet fox at work.
    Last edited by Cypher; 06-21-2018 at 11:33 PM.

I have the Vortex Reccee. I keep it i my car and have the pouch on my pack when hiking. It also clips well on the belt and has a hand lanyard.

Great quality glass, just the right magnification for distance in the PNW. I like the monkey simple range finder. The form factor is a lot easier than a pair of binos.

Quote Originally Posted by underhook View Post
    I have the Vortex Reccee. I keep it i my car and have the pouch on my pack when hiking. It also clips well on the belt and has a hand lanyard.

Great quality glass, just the right magnification for distance in the PNW. I like the monkey simple range finder. The form factor is a lot easier than a pair of binos.
    Thanks for your input on the Vortex! The combination of quality, form factor, adjustable diopter for the reticle and range estimation capability looks like a great blend of features. I'm closer to getting myself talked into one...

User Tag List