Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Another Malkoff EDC "Build"

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    My "Edit" period expired while I was typing...

I was just checking out the listing @martin_j001 has up in the For Sale, Non-Firearms listings (WTS: Malkoff MDC flashlight) and went to Malkoff's site for some details.
    Which were lacking.
    It uses a rechargeable battery. How does the battery charge? Do you plug the flashlight into a charger, maybe by USB? Is there a charging stand or dock for the whole flashlight? Do you remove the battery and put it in a charger? If so, what charger?
    More photographs of the light might be helpful, too. It would be obvious if there was a way to plug the light in to charge, and customers might like views of the bezel and tailcap, the way the clip is attached, etc.

I have the Nitecore D2 charger which is one of the recommended chargers on several sights. I like it. I use it for a couple of 16650 batteries as well.
    It appears to be the same charger in the pic above.

I've been using a Xtar VP2 and am pleased with it -

https://lightjunction.com/products/x...nt=30460762820

The forum won't let me edit my above post.

The Nitecore D2 charger is also the charger that Malkoff sells on their website. That says a lot to me.

Got to check out my new-to-me MD2 M61HOT today in the local indoor range. I LIKE it a lot. I'm afraid this will lead to more Malkoff flashlights in my meager collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Got to check out my new-to-me MD2 M61HOT today in the local indoor range. I LIKE it a lot. I'm afraid this will lead to more Malkoff flashlights in my meager collection.
    Welcome to the Malkoff Enthusiasts Club. Hold on to your wallet. But the peace-of-mind is that they are well-deserving of the support!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Yes, the mode switching electronics are in the head. The MDC bodies are compatible with Surefire E-series threads, so any E-series compatible head would work. For a 1xCR123 you'll need a 3V head, so something like this would work well.

You may be able to sell the MDC head by itself on Candlepowerforums or other flashlight nerd places to recoup some of the 'loss' so to speak, if you do not foresee ever using the multi-mode head again. Personally I also can't stand mode-switching lights.

Thank you.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    This is the other (and most likely the primary) light I'll be using at the Low Light Pistol Operator course;

M61T-MD2 with Tricap and High-Low Switch run on a pair of IMR 18350 1200 mah cells. This set up will provide a steady 450 lumens/14,000 lux for at least 75 minutes before gradually tapering off (to prompt a battery reload). Equipped with the Raven Concealment clip and DIY finger lanyard, it fits in a pocket quite well. The O-rings seen on the head allow easier one-hand grip for turning the bezel and operating the high-low switch. At 6.8 ounces and built like the typical Malkoff brick poop house, serves as a viable improvised impact tool in a SD scenario.

I also tried this on a MD3 body to use 18500 cells (over 2.5 hours of continuous full output) but I like the handling of this shorter MD2 version better.
    A couple of questions for you:

Where can I find the o-ring you have on the head. That's a great addition. While trying to turn the head on mine to go to the low setting this evening I realized that the o-ring you have makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of o-rings, I saw it posted somewhere to use o-rings on the front and back of the 18650 batteries in MD2 lights if they'll see rough use. Where can I find those o-rings?

I have SF 9P with a MD M61 LED drop-in that I like a lot as a nightstand light. However, I'd much prefer to have a similar size-wise flashlight that uses rechargeable batteries. So, your MD3 above using 2 18500 batteries looks like the hot ticket. I'm leaning towards the Malkoff MDX22.3-M61T Throw Head but the Wildcat V.6 Neutrall has great appeal too. For indoor, primarily, use is the Wildcat Neutral a better choice?

Looks like my SF 6P and 9P will be relegated to back-up status. I still need to upgrade the LED drop-in in the 6P. I have no idea which MD drop-in one to buy for it.

Again, thanks for all of the great info in this thread.

A couple of questions for you:

Where can I find the o-ring you have on the head. That's a great addition. While trying to turn the head on mine to go to the low setting this evening I realized that the o-ring you have makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of o-rings, I saw it posted somewhere to use o-rings on the front and back of the 18650 batteries in MD2 lights if they'll see rough use. Where can I find those o-rings?

I have SF 9P with a MD M61 LED drop-in that I like a lot as a nightstand light. However, I'd much prefer to have a similar size-wise flashlight that uses rechargeable batteries. So, your MD3 above using 2 18500 batteries looks like the hot ticket. I'm leaning towards the Malkoff MDX22.3-M61T Throw Head but the Wildcat V.6 Neutrall has great appeal too. For indoor, primarily, use is the Wildcat Neutral a better choice?

Looks like my SF 6P and 9P will be relegated to back-up status. I still need to upgrade the LED drop-in in the 6P. I have no idea which MD drop-in one to buy for it.

Again, thanks for all of the great info in this thread.
    For the o-ring on the head you could just find some in a set that might fit, but the battery o-rings ('battery bumper' o-rings) are sold by Malkoff, and are a good idea to buy since you want these to have the correct fit.

I just used some that I had on hand. They are Danco #30 which have a 7/8" ID and stretched them over the head. Two fit in a groove with a little room to spare.

Also be sure to lubricate the bare aluminum on the body where the brass switch makes contact. I place a very thin film of silicone grease on that surface so the head doesn't stick when tightened.

...your MD3 above using 2 18500 batteries looks like the hot ticket. I'm leaning towards the Malkoff MDX22.3-M61T Throw Head but the Wildcat V.6 Neutrall has great appeal too. For indoor, primarily, use is the Wildcat Neutral a better choice?
    For indoor use the Wildcat v.6 is awesome. I use it on the MD2 body with a set of IMR 18350 cells for my "nightstand light." On low it is IMO perfect - a wide spread of light without being too bright.

For a general purpose light the M361 LMH (in either cool or neutral) is a great choice. Otherwise I would roll with the M61 (cool or neutral).

WML upgrades?

If I may hijack the thread for a bit, I'd like to take advantage of the high degree of knowledge of Malkoff products displayed in this thread.

My current AR weapon light is an old Surefire 2-cell light that dates back to - I think - early naughties, that has been upgraded with a Malkoff device that is several years old. I've been thinking about upgrading it, and one idea has been to pick Malkoff components, but as others have pointed out it's not that easy to pick the right ones. So what I am looking for is:

* The light is not coming off the rifle so the end result must be durable enough to withstand being mounted to a rifle all the time. This shouldn't be a problem.
    * I want to use primary cells, not rechargeables. (The logistics are much simpler this way.)
    * I am in the all the lumens camp, but only within reason. A five minute runtime on a weapon light would not be very useful.
    * I want a beam that has enough spill to be useful in close ranges, but can reach out there for more distant targets.
    * I'm not entirely satisfied with the Surefire tail cap, as I find the button protrudes a bit too much for the current application of the light. One must take care a bit not to ND the light unintentionally or (more often) too early. However I absolutely do not care for any tail cap where the light can go constant on accidentally! A momentary only would be preferred, or if a clicky is the only option, one that requires a deeeeep push of the button to click it on.
    * The light should either be a single output mode, or the selection of output modes should be very distinct. No Morse coding Assembly code to the flashlights processor via a clicky tail cap, please. (Turning the bezel or tail cap to access high/low is acceptable.)

@NH Shooter, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    @NH Shooter, any suggestions?
    These come with Malkoff E2 heads;

https://arisakadefense.com/collectio...0-series-light

...then pick an Arisaka mount of your choice.

User Tag List