Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Malkoff EDC "Build"

Site Supporter
    Thanks NH, I just ordered an MDC tac to try out.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    One of the aspects I appreciate the most about Malkoff products is the ability configure a light to ones needs. One of my EDC lights is configured using a 1-CR123 body, using a 700mah 16340 rechargeable cell to power a M61N drop-in;

This is an extremely carry-friendly light with about 20 minutes of full output run time before dropping into direct-drive mode as voltage decreases. For normal EDC use, the run time is adequate.

With a Low Light Pistol Operator class at the Sig Academy coming up, I wanted to extend the run time of the light so I purchased a 2-CR123 body. This body will accept a 2500 mah 16650 cell or a pair of standard CR123 lithium cells to power the same M61N drop-in. The result is a longer but still very pocket-friendly configuration;

Attachment 27301

With either a single 16650 Li-ion cell or a pair of CR123 cells, full output run time is around 90 minutes. Additionally, I find the longer body easier to grip and allows the bezel to fully clear the hand.

For those interested here is the list of parts used to assemble this light;

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...re-and-malkoff

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...-concepts-head

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...r123-body-only

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...protected-cell
    I just took that class on Monday. It was awesome. I did it using a sure fire EDCL1T and they stream light protac 2L. It was awesomeness.
    Last edited by Mitchell, Esq.; 06-22-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    I just took that class on Monday. It was awesome. I did it using a sure fire EDCL1T and they stream light protac 2L. It was awesomeness.
    I'm taking it on 8/11 and will have a range bag of Malkoffs to use. :-)

I'm looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply NH Shooter.
    Option 3

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...nt=45548976195

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...hot-throw-head

This head is rated at 625 lumens but uses a TIR optic to focus the beam to 20,000 lux. Runs on an 18650 Li-ion cell, can also be fitted with optional high-low bezel switch.

Option 4

...or just buy a Hound Dog 18650!

Every time I take the Malkoffs out at night to do a beam comparison, the first thought that comes to my mind with the HD 18650 is "holy $hit." It's 900 lumens at 29,000 lux and because it's a reflector-based design (not a TIR lens), the beam is beautifully uniform. You'll need cargo pants to carry it in a pocket, but for a rural area where you need plenty of reach with plentiful spill, it's perfect. Even on low at around 30 lumens it is extremely useful.

You can also lego it with the following;

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...8650-head-only

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...nt=45548976195

Must be run with only a 18650 cell.

^^^The Hound Dog 18650 was the last Malkoff I purchased. I had held off for a long time thinking I didn't need one because:

1. I already had the bigger Hound Dog in neutral

2. I always thought it was a bit of an odd duck.

Well, live and learn. I love the light. (I have the cool white version. I like it as much as its neutral big brother.) It's my go-to when I don't wear a headlamp at night to take the dog out in our forested environment. (No lights but from homes along the gravel road.)

Name:  malkoff family 3.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  75.4 KB
    Last edited by blues; 06-23-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

This is the other (and most likely the primary) light I'll be using at the Low Light Pistol Operator course;

M61T-MD2 with Tricap and High-Low Switch run on a pair of IMR 18350 1200 mah cells. This set up will provide a steady 450 lumens/14,000 lux for at least 75 minutes before gradually tapering off (to prompt a battery reload). Equipped with the Raven Concealment clip and DIY finger lanyard, it fits in a pocket quite well. The O-rings seen on the head allow easier one-hand grip for turning the bezel and operating the high-low switch. At 6.8 ounces and built like the typical Malkoff brick poop house, serves as a viable improvised impact tool in a SD scenario.

I also tried this on a MD3 body to use 18500 cells (over 2.5 hours of continuous full output) but I like the handling of this shorter MD2 version better.

Another Malkoff EDC "Build"

What head is that? Can you tell us the diameter of the head?

Why not use an 18650?

Thanks a ton for all this info!
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-25-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I appreciate you taking the time to make this thread and go into detail on the builds as it greatly clarifies the vast Lego capabilities of the Malkoff flashlights and parts.

I just purchased my first complete Malkoff flashlight, an MD2 M61HOT with the Hi/low switch, and this thread along with a few others here on PF helped in choosing Malkoff. I hope to have the MD2 by Friday. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I have 2 of the MD LED drop-ins in a SF 9P and a 6P and I've been very happy with those.

If I may ask, why the 2 18350 batteries as opposed to a single 18650 in the above build?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    What head is that? Can you tell us the diameter of the head?

Why not use an 18650?
    That is the M61T head. Diameter = 1.25 inches. See below for battery info!

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    If I may ask, why the 2 18350 batteries as opposed to a single 18650 in the above build?
    Congrats on the M61HOT-MD2, you're going to like it!

All Malkoff lights have a range of acceptable voltage. For example, the M61HOT is 3.4 to 6 volts, as are many of their E2 heads. In those cases, the use of a single cell (16650 or 18650) is the way to roll. The larger the capacity of the cell the longer the run time.

Other Malkoff heads have a wider (or different) range of acceptable voltage. The M61T is a good example of this - it has an acceptable range of 3.4 to 9 volts. So what this means is that two Li-ion cells (4.2 volts each out of the charger) can be used, providing 8.4 volts.

All of these heads are voltage regulated, meaning that within the range of acceptable voltages light output is supposed to remain constant. But in most cases, output is slightly higher at the higher voltage.

Malkoff under-rates the output of many of their lights, as proven by those in the flashlight nerd kingdom who set up the equipment to actually measure it. For example, the M61T is rated by Malkoff as "350+" lumens but actual readings are significantly higher; on a single cell (4.2 volts) it is more like 380 lumens and on two cells (8.4 volts) is more like 450 lumens.

The bezel switch uses a resistor to establish the low output, so the higher the input voltage the brighter low mode is. In the case of the M61T, the low setting is under 10 lumens on one cell but around 30 lumens on two cells. At least in the case of the M61T, using two cells significantly improves the performance of the head, but at the expense of run time. In my case I'll still get over 75 minutes of full output run time on the two 1200mah cells, more than adequate IMO for a defensive flashlight.

Since the M61HOT has a maximum limit of 6 volts, two Li-ion cells cannot be used (but two CR123 primaries can). Using an 18650 Li-ion cell, output starts at 625 lumens, drops to 575 lumens pretty quickly and holds that for over 75 minutes - graph. So it still outperforms the M61T on two cells by 125 lumens. But in terms of run time, the M61T can be used with two 18650 cells in a MD4 body providing nearly 5 hours of 450 lumen output (graph)!

For our use (perhaps with the exception of search and rescue) long run times are not IMO something of tremendous value. It you can get over an hour of consistent full output and then a slow, steady decline leaving plenty of time for a battery change, I think that is acceptable. The smaller/shorter lights are also easier to carry, especially if its carried in a pocket vs. on a duty belt.

Here is the link to many other output graphs of Malkoff lights (links found in post #2) - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...kaline-Comparo

User Tag List