Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skateboard tape and draw speed

Skateboard tape and draw speed

Recently, I have been experimenting with ever increasing amounts of skateboard tape on my competition pistols, to help me hold onto the pistol better when competing. While it does help with that, the tape adds on average .10-.15 to my draw, and significantly increases my percentage of bad grips, as the tape prevents my hand from sliding into position as I grab the pistol.

Almost all of the tape has now been removed.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Recently, I have been experimenting with ever increasing amounts of skateboard tape on my competition pistols, to help me hold onto the pistol better when competing. While it does help with that, the tape adds on average .10-.15 to my draw, and significantly increases my percentage of bad grips, as the tape prevents my hand from sliding into position as I grab the pistol.

Almost all of the tape has now been removed.
    Interesting. What is your average non-grip tape draw speed?
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Interesting. What is your average non-grip tape draw speed?
    Depends.

I meant to add more to this. I have the Burner grips on my Elite II, and just small amounts of grip tape on the upper panels of my Gen 5. But I don’t find my draw Speed any slower; which is consistently about .8 for an aimed, fully locked in firing grip, dry practice draw. I can get much faster, but I don’t really see the point, as 95% of what I see in matches require the former type of grip.

Edit: I can get much faster if I use a sloppy grip and index shooting...thought I should clarify.

Personally, I would trade .1 in draw speed to have the gun more locked in for the rest of the stage, and I find grip tape really helps with that. I’m also a big believer in grip enhancer, like liquid chalk or it’s equivalent.

On the draw I try to index the gun at the web of my hand on the beaver tail and build my my grip from there. It’s a tiny bit slower than other ways I have tried, but far more consistent.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 06-20-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I like traction/friction where my support hand grip falls on the frame and less elsewhere.

Especially on the backstrap, so you can slide your web up high on the beavertail as you noted.

I'm not surprised by your results.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting your findings. I do not compete, and haven't timed myself, but I have had various amounts of grip tape on different guns and have found the one spot I like it, and no where else, is where support hand meets lower quarter panel/encroaching on the rear backstrap area. Nice to see it quantified.

Having it in just this spot minimizes the potential for cover garments clinging AIWB, and I wear a "wife beater" undershirt 99% of the time, so no issues with skin-to-tape contact (HK USPF is my go-to, fwiw.)

Where are you placing grip tape now and on what?

First post here btw. Been cruising here the last 10 months or so. I get a kick out of the "mods are shit" riff, but this place has become my default.

I only have skate board tape on the off hand grip panel. I don't put it on the back strap or the front strap. I think there is a right amount and in the right places. But covering the whole thing doesnt work for everybody. It doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 06-21-2018 at 12:22 AM.
    A71593

In general I think skate tape sucks. There are spots where it can be located to add grip and not effect gun handling but it is only a few locations. The problem with grip tape is that it is grippy with very little pressure. Checking or stippling is superior IMHO because it is grippy when you squeeze but your hand can slip over it when there is low pressure.

On all my pistols except one, I use tape on the lower right rear of the grip and on the front strap and wrapped maybe 1/4 inch onto the left grip panel. Really helps me. I got some Stoner CNC grips for my EII and really like them.
    20180507_070849 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    I don't use tape w/ them. But I have noticed that they are a little too grippy on the top rear of both when I try to slide my hand up hard against the beaver tail. I may fill in or sand smooth that area a little to help my hand slide upward more readily.

Where I do like a bit of grip tape is on the quarter panel area to facilitate that technique.

User Tag List